Via Christi Health's rich history of serving the people of Kansas and the surrounding region dates back more than 100 years to the healing ministries of our founding congregations. Today, Via Christi Health is the largest provider of health care services in Kansas. We serve Kansas and northeast Oklahoma through our doctors, hospitals, senior villages and health services.
This position provides direct and indirect patient care in accordance with hospital policy and clinical staff direction. This position supports the facility by various means including general maintenance and security functions.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Provides direct patient care including, but not limited to: proactively de-escalating volatile situations, specimen collection,obtaining vital signs, escorting and providing security for all patients, staff and facility.
- Responds to all emergency pages including emergency stat calls, code blues, fire, tornado warnings, etc.
- Acts as a permanent member of the crisis response team and participating in situational debriefing post incident.
- Responsible for recording and securing patient valuables in accordance with unit guidelines.
- Conducts searches of patients and patient belongings to verify no contraband or sharp objects are available.
- Coordinates front desk procedures, performing visitor check-in for recording and maintaining daily log.
- Responds to inclement weather situations by shoveling snow, salting walks and mobilizing support.
- Assists with environmental services and general maintenance duties as required by supervisor/manager including, but not limited to: changing light bulbs, hanging bulletin boards, emptying trash bins and cleaning floors.
- May perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED); or at least two years psychiatric or related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Via Christi Health.
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions.
- An ability to maintain a positive attitude under intense and volatile situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Capacity to learn Via Christi approved age-appropriate restraint techniques.
- Valid driver’s license
- Insurable for driving company vehicles (through Via Christi’s policy) as applicable to duties.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers offered by the American Heart Association or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer offered by the Red Cross within 30 days post date of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodationsmay be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to carry or lift items weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally required to carry or lift items weighing up to 25 pounds for short distances.
- Occasionally required to stand or walk.
- Ability to run at a fast pace and up stairs.
- Frequently required to sit in a stationary position.
- Occasionally performs activities that require stooping, bending and reaching, squatting, balancing, and trunk twisting throughout the day.
- Constantly able to communicate verbally and in written form.
- Frequently able to detect and discern both loud and soft sounds such as phone calls and customer questions.
- Constantly able to use hands and fingers to type, write, and file.
- Frequently able to use near vision for viewing computer monitor and written materials.
- Occasionally required to detect unusual odors that could indicate environmental issues.
Position Scope/Patient Population:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is trained to draw blood and is frequently exposed to blood, body fluids, needles, fumes, airborne particles and sharp objects.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and work near moving mechanical parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Potential to receive physical harm during emergency calls.
- Exposure to awkward situations when dealing with uncontrolled/distressed patients.
- This position has direct patient contact that provides care to adolescents and adults.
Via Christi Health is an Equal Opportunity (EOE) and Affirmative Action Employer. We support diversity in the workplace.
Via Christi Health System
- 2 years ago - save job