This is a rare opportunity to join a fast-paced growth oriented product development company. Sparta Systems is the leader in Enterprise Quality Management Systems and has been growing and profitable for many years. Our R&D organization has experienced sustained investment increases over the past year and is expected to continue to grow in 2013. We recently moved into our new state of the art Headquarters in Hamilton, NJ. The "Sparta Innovation Center" is an entire floor for our technical team complete with war rooms for collaboration, ample conference space with integrated flat screen displays, whiteboard painted walls throughout, and a brightly lit (real light from the outside) open layout. Every member of R&D enjoys new workspace furniture, brand new modern laptop and two wide-screen displays mounted on adjustable arms. We offer opportunities to grow technical skills by attending conferences and training courses as well as nominations for select staff members to peel away from product development to participate in research projects where needed. Personal development training is also available to all employees. While we are growing every day and working with top companies in the industry, we have preserved a smaller company feel where we find time for company activities, participating in the company's Give Back program, play games in our employee forum area, and have a company sponsored lunch together every Friday. This is truly a great place to build your career while contributing to the company's success.
The role of the MySQL Database Administrator (DBA) is to be the lead DBA for an Enterprise level cloud-based software solution. This role will lead and manage all MySQL database related activities for Sparta Systems for the entire product lifecycle. This is a ground-floor opportunity to influence the development and design of the product, as well as establish best practices in the overall deployment and operations. The work will involve working directly with the hosting provider and product development staff for implementation, deployment and support. Tasks would include performance tuning, problem investigation, design and optimizing implementations. This position requires excellent analytical skills, attention to detail and technical leadership. Due to the dynamic nature of the business, self-motivation and the ability to learn quickly are essential. This position reports into the Product Development team at Sparta Systems and is a strategic and growing part of our business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform tier 3 level production support of the solution to troubleshoot issues and help ensure the highest standards of availability, resilience, integrity, security and performance required by our business systems.
- Provide guidance to development team on all database related matters including, but not limited to, SQL tuning and DB design.
- Design and development of MySQL databases.
- Administration, performance monitoring, reporting, and tuning of MySQL databases on Linux.
- Installation and maintenance of database server, replication, and client environments.
- Designing database installation/upgrade packages and procedures.
- Provisioning of (database) development and testing environments.
- Writing ad-hoc queries based on schema knowledge for various reporting requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BA/BS degree in Business, Computer Science, MIS or a related field.
- 4+ years DBA experience using MySQL.
- In-depth knowledge of MySQL 5.5/5.6
- Experience supporting a hosted high availability environment for an Enterprise Level product.
- In-depth knowledge of SQL and performance tuning.
- Experience with Linux including commands and shell scripting.
- Good working knowledge of clustering, job scheduling, and monitoring tools.
- Experience of working with multiple projects/tasks and the ability to prioritize on the fly.
- Knowledge of backup and recovery procedures for MySQL.
- SQL Server experience is a plus.
Strong leadership and communication (written/verbal) skills.
Excellent analytical and logical skills.
Ability to rapidly learn and adapt to new technology.
Comfortable working in a fast paced team environment.
Ability to work as a team player.
Ability to lead research and evaluation of new technologies.
Strong ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues arising from the customer base.
THIS POSITION IS BASED AT OUR BRAND NEW
CORPORATE US HEADQUARTERS IN HAMILTON, NJ
Sparta Systems, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.