Title: Administrative Assistant Intermediate
Working Title: Research Administrative Assistant
Hours: 32 - 40 hours per week; This position may be full or part-time based on the needs of the department and the availability of the chosen candidate.
Dept ID: Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Salary Range: $33,000 - $36,000
Posting Dates: January 23, 2013-February 6, 2013
The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) is one of the three campuses of the University of Michigan. UM-Dearborn is among the top-tier comprehensive public universities in the Midwest with nearly 9,100 students, outstanding faculty and staff as well as beautiful facilities and grounds. Faculty and students have the opportunity to collaborate across all three campuses in research and scholarly activity. UM-Dearborn is located ten miles west of Detroit and thirty-five miles east of Ann Arbor. The campus is strategically located on 200 suburban acres of the original Henry Ford Estate in the Greater Detroit Metropolitan region.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn has an exciting opportunity for a Research Administrative Assistant in the Office of Sponsored Research and Programs. The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for a variety of duties such as composing and editing correspondences and compiling various data for reports. Additionally the successful candidate will greet visitors and appropriately route incoming telephone calls, maintain and order office supplies, make appointments, and schedule meetings for the Director, Campus Grants Committee, and research workshops. This position reports to the Director of Research and Sponsored Programs.
- Act as primary receptionist for the Research Office; greet clients, answer phones, distribute mail; track the flow of documents through the office and provide follow-up when needed (e.g., follow-up phone call to an individual who needs to sign a particular form).
- Support office operations by ordering office supplies, subscriptions, etc., and reconcile the operating account [OPERA] and Campus Grant account [FACAL].
- Reconcile office accounts; encumber and track commitments; notify internal grant recipients; schedule meetings of the Campus Grant Committee; and disburse funds awarded through the Campus Grant program (e.g., initiate funds transfers, process reimbursements, reconcile purchasing transactions).
- Log and file internal grant applications; scan and forward to Campus Grants Committee members for review; record and process internal awards; and generate congratulatory letters from Chancellor and Provost to new grantees.
- Maintain the office calendar, make appointments, and schedule meetings.
- Draft monthly announcements that are posted in the electronic campus publication (The Reporter)
- Manage Human Subjects Incentive Payments (HSIP) requests, tracking, and follow-up from Treasurer's Office.
- Assist faculty with grant proposal budgets and forms; initiate proposal approval forms in eResearch.
must possess a positive, service-oriented approach to tasks and willingness to assist
- One to three years of related experience required
- High School diploma required, Bachelor's degree preferred
- Knowledge and working experience with software applications, particularly word processing and spreadsheets
- Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively required
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with faculty, staff, students, and the public required
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a commitment to detail-oriented accuracy are required
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and to prioritize and the ability to work under pressure at peak times is required
- Ability to exercise initiative and work independently is required and the successful candidate
Under FLSA, incumbents in this position are nonexempt.
- Working experience with proposals and reconciling accounts in higher education strongly desired
- Working knowledge of University policies and procedures preferred