As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally-and medically- vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The UW is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, and natural beauty.
HMC is looking for an outstanding full-time CLINICAL STAFF PHARMACIST (PHARMACIST 3) to join our Inpatient Acute Care Clinical Float team! The Clinical Staff Pharmacist will perform professional pharmaceutical care (i.e. efficient drug distribution, drug monitoring, drug information, and discharge counseling to patients) on multiple acute care clinical services based on staffing needs. This clinician must be flexible enough to cover multiple service lines and perform specific leadership functions related to clinical practice, education and standards of pharmaceutical care, and influencing standards of therapy. Additionally, this clinician must understand and exemplify the UW Medicine Service Culture Guidelines and prioritize the goals set within the pillars established for the Patients are First initiative.
Additional responsibilities will include :
- Participate in daily rounds with service team including medical students, interns, residents, and an attending physician and advise prescribers on patients’ drug therapy.
- Review medications for appropriate choice, dose, route and rate of administration.
- Monitor drug therapy by evaluating appropriate labs or patient-specific endpoints.
- Advise on and/or schedule medications based on absorption, drug interactions and other biological considerations.
- Provide standardized resource information on the compatibility of multiple medications and effective methods of administration.
- Advise on intravenous nutritional support for patients as appropriate.
- Facilitate communication among nurses, physicians and pharmacy staff on behalf of the patient.
- Act as a liaison between the inpatient and ambulatory care pharmacies to ensure continuation of patient's home medications and to arrange appropriate follow up visits.
- Provide discharge medication teaching to patients and families.
- Oversee and direct the work of technicians and interns.
- Precept pharmacy students and pharmacy residents on service specific rotation.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary team activities to provide patient- specific drug information and education when appropriate. Additionally, develop and present periodic inservices to healthcare providers.
- Participate in DUE and CQI projects as assigned/appropriate within the Patients are First initiative.
- Participate in pharmacy and hospital committees.
- Perform the duties of a Pharmacist II.
- Other duties as assigned.
For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- State of Washington Pharmacist License AND two years of experience in pharmacy practice.
- Months spent in the completion of an American Society of Health System Pharmacists accredited residency training program may substitute month-for-month for the required experience.
Applicants should have an advanced degree, or residency, or 2 years experience in clinically oriented hospital pharmacy practice.
Condition of Employment:
Must be eligible for licensure in the State of Washington
University of Washington Medical Center - 13 months ago