The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for the overall integration of the corporate network, including the planning, design, installation, maintenance, management, and coordination of the LAN/WAN infrastructure.
- Evaluate, design, install, and maintain existing or proposed LAN/WAN infrastructure.
- Coordinate and/or install network hardware.
- Evaluate, design, and implement new networking features to support business needs.
- Perform network analysis for both troubleshooting and capacity planning purposes using tools such as Etherpeek or Wireshark.
- Assess network performance and make recommendations for improvements.
- Troubleshoot network issues through to resolution by understanding the problem as it relates to the layers of the OSI model and the behavior of the TCP/IP protocols.
- Interface with vendor support groups to ensure proper escalation during outages or periods of degraded network performance.
- Respond to network vulnerabilities and perform necessary software installations, upgrades and patches.
- Evaluate hardware and software tools, and present business justification documentation to management which may result in the purchase and installation of the equipment or software.
- Evaluate, implement, and maintain network security tools to enforce corporate security policy.
- Analyze system logs and security monitoring tools for security and policy breaches.
- Evaluate, design, implement, and maintain the continuity of operations plan.
- Create and maintain documentation for current hardware and software configurations, as well as proposed future installations and modifications to current environment.
- Identify and implement new processes or modify existing processes to improve efficiencies in the service delivery system and the support and monitoring of our network.
- Perform project management for critical or large-scale IT initiatives.
- Create and maintain systems and procedural documentation.
- May design, develop, and deliver technical IT training to colleagues.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to colleagues.
- After hour's responsibilities including cell phone coverage, troubleshooting network outages, and performing network upgrades/modifications.
- 5-7 years of related experience designing, implementing, maintaining, monitoring, and troubleshooting LAN/WAN environments consisting of Cisco switches and routers, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and web monitoring applications.
- Cisco CCNA certification is required
- Cisco CCNP/CCDA certifications are preferred.
- B.S. Degree in Information Technology or a related discipline is preferred.
- Must be available to travel both domestically and abroad for maintenance visits and project rollouts.
- Available to occasionally work evenings or weekends for large-scale or high-priority projects.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently and autonomously, and as part of a coordinated team.
- Strong, task-oriented work ethic
- Applicant must have the ability to lift equipment weighing 65 pounds, sit for long periods in front of a computer as well as the ability to type and read on a computer.
With a 160-year history of connecting people when it matters most, Western Union continues to shape the world in which we live. Western Union offers one of the easiest ways for families and friends to send money and stay connected almost anywhere in the world. It all comes down to the relationships we've established over many years. We take pride in being close to our consumers. Together with our Agents, we speak our consumers' languages and live in our consumers' neighborhoods. And we share our consumers' cultures. We are a significant part of each other's lives.As a result, our Agents and employees are more like ambassadors. They are ambassadors of trust. Ambassadors of responsibility. And ambassadors of hope. They are the living, breathing manifestation of who we are as a company and everything we stand for: Integrity. Partnership. Opportunity. Passion. Teamwork.