Participate in educational instruction for programs within each of the colleges; develop and maintain a scholarly agenda; and provide service to the department, college, university and profession.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Effectively instruct/teach one or more subjects within the prescribed curriculum and participate in the educational offerings of the department. This will include preparing and delivering up-to-date, accurate content in the form of classroom lectures, laboratories, problem based learning sessions, case scenarios, etc.
• Participate in course management/administration of one or more subjects within the prescribed curriculum.
• Participate in the assessment of student learning and curriculum development.
• Serve formally and informally as an advisor to students and participate in student mentorship.
• Develop a scholarly agenda by conducting independent research, submitting applications for intramural and extramural grant funding, publishing in peer reviewed journals, presenting at local and national conferences, etc.
• Provide service to the department, college, university, and profession by: participating in faculty and professional committees, participating in community outreach programs and functions, serving governmental agencies and community organizations, etc.
• Develop professionally by maintaining content expertise through literature review and participating seminars and professional meetings.
• Demonstrate the ability to create and maintain supportive professional relationships based on effective communication, mutual respect, and trust. Work harmoniously with the department employees as well as other University personnel.
• Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Chair of the department.
• Participate in and successfully complete University required training including, but not limited to harassment, discrimination and/or ethics.
Directly supervise students and/or staff conducting work related to this job description. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; recommending rewards and disciplining of employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
An earned doctorate from an accredited university in a relevant field.
At least 2 years post doctoral experience, preferably in a medical or health related university.
Must have demonstrated accomplishments in scholarly activity.
Must be able to secure and maintain State and Federal controlled substance registration if research involves use of controlled substances.
Commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
Must be a skillful communicator on behalf of the department and the institution.
Excellent communications, interpersonal, time management, organizational and presentation skills.
Des Moines University - 19 months ago