Provides comprehensive administrative support to the Hawaii region Legal and Government Relations department. Responsible for all support functions related to work load of case and claim files. Provides secretarial and administrative support for drafting of letters, pleadings, legal memos, briefs, contracts, and other documents. Gathers documents and data in conjunction with proceedings arising out of litigation and other disputes. Conducts legal research, and performs other tasks and functions as directed. Performs tasks herein under general supervision of attorneys and other supervisory personnel.
- Conducts legal research and composes letters and memoranda for attorney/manager approval.
- Conducts government relations functions, including secretarial and administrative support for maintenance of bill tracking log, and drafting and filing of legislative testimony.
- Prepares/drafts, position statements, reports, contract provisions, consent forms, general correspondence, letters, and legislative testimony in consultation with attorneys and other Legal Department staff. Retrieves, prints, and organizes medical records and other materials as needed for litigation.
- Establishes, maintains, organizes, and closes legal, government relations, and office files, including those of a confidential nature.
- Processes vendor bills; reconciles case costs for each legal file, and resolves discrepancies.
- Proofreads legal and other documents for errors of grammar, spelling, punctuation, formatting, and other errors; and makes corrections as appropriate.
- Organizes documents and files as requested by attorneys and others in the Legal and Government Relations Department, including assisting in maintaining contracts databases.
- Tracks and monitors status of cases and notifies attorneys and other Legal Department and Government Relations personnel of changes, and maintains case calendar.
- Receives visitors, screens telephone calls, and determines appropriate referral or resolves as appropriate.
- Prepares a variety of reports.
- Maintains attorney's calendar, including scheduling conference calls, meetings, and conferences, and makes travel arrangements, in the absence of the Management Assistant.
- Ensures that all indicated legal matters are brought to the attention of attorneys or other appropriate staff members, for timely handling.
- Maintains office supplies and places orders as needed, in coordination with the Management Assistant.
- Ensures operation of office equipment by placing repair orders as needed, in coordination with the Management Assistant.
- Develops effective working relationships with other departments and the clients of the Legal Department.
- Performs related tasks as assigned.
- Three years experience as a legal secretary.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Type 50 wpm and proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other office applications.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Organizational and planning ability.
- Strong human relations and customer service skills required to communicate effectively with all levels of management and clientele, both internal/external.
- Experience doing paralegal work.
- Ability to perform analysis and computerized legal research to identify and clarify issues.
- Ability to interpret and apply rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Familiarity with regulations and statutes impacting the managed care environment.
- Knowledge of electronic medical record systems.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Completion of a paralegal or legal assistant training program, or equivalent experience.
America’s leading not-for-profit health plan, Kaiser Permanente serves more than 9 million people from 37 hospitals and 611...