EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The International Development Division has an opening for an Adolescent Health Specialist , reporting to the Senior International Technical Advisor, in Washington, DC.
With more than 50 years of implementing research and projects in the U.S. and in developing countries, EDC recognizes the potential synergy between good health and successful educational achievement. Childhood and adolescence are critically-important stages, full of opportunity and risk, with respect to staying healthy and staying in school. EDC has recently initiated a new strategic initiative to promote these linkages between health and education, and to initiate projects that focus on mutually-reinforcing interventions.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
The Adolescent Health Specialist will provide technical leadership for conceptualizing and designing health and life skills interventions that complement EDC’s existing education activities. In parallel, s/he will seek out partnership opportunities in the global health sector where EDC can bring its wealth of training, pedagogical and community-outreach experience (in both formal and non-formal education settings) to enhance the effectiveness of health projects promoting healthy behaviors and prevention of disease.
The Adolescent Health Specialist will provide technical input into the design and successful implementation of projects that focus on Adolescent Health in particular and also other health promotion activities that affect children and youth such as nutrition, hygiene, sexual and reproductive health, intestinal parasites, malaria, HIV/AIDS, and substance abuse.
The Adolescent Health Specialist
The Adolescent Health Specialist
- Recommends prospective business development opportunities; may conduct comparative or competitive analysis
- Contribute to program development teams in planning for proposal submissions, drafting proposals, and achieving agreed-upon objectives
- Provides technical guidance to projects in the field
- Provides technical leadership for adolescent health activities including a range of quality ARSH programming - from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment; strengthening access to family planning, and advocating for sound reproductive health policies
- Utilizes innovative and multi-pronged approaches to reach a diverse group of young people with health information and health services;
- Introduces youth-friendly service delivery in both clinical and non-clinical settings, sexuality and life skills education in schools and youth centers, behavior change communication through mass media and local media such as theater and music, and peer education programs
- Leads or contributes to technical reports for USAID and the broader development community
- Advises on monitoring and evaluation
- May oversee training programs, workshops, conferences, or other collaborations
- Helps represent EDC in host countries; liaises with government officials, civil society, other partners and clients, funders, and vendors
- Demonstrates diplomacy and leadership to foster an atmosphere of teamwork, productivity, creativity, fairness, equity, and innovation, in support of EDC’s commitment to diversity
- Troubleshoots problems and proposes solutions
- Is responsible for partnering successfully with Chief of Party and home office project director and with Center, Business Services, expatriate and local staff
- Negotiates and mediates effectively
- Interacts with large numbers of program participants or team members, guiding feedback exchanges, facilitating problem-solving, and providing expertise
- Oversees technical coordination; secures consensus about priorities and competing workload demands
- Assists in building staff cohesion across different activity areas
- Fosters excellent communications among all parties, including with EDC home offices
- Manages and coordinates activities of subcontractors and all partners to create synergy
- May supervise technical staff; directs and coordinates work of technical staff
- May organize and coach teams
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
CONTACT: No phone calls, please
- Master’s degree, MPH preferred
- 10+ years related experience, including a minimum of 8 years supervisory/project management or program development experience
- Specific technical expertise relevant to international public health
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Excellent analytical skills and aptitude for details
- Capacity to work in difficult conditions and function well under pressure
- Extensive international experience and experience in a developing country required
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and has Affirmative Action Plans for Women and Minorities and for Disabled Workers and Veterans. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.
Education Development Center - 2 years ago