The Student Health Nurse reports to the Director of Counseling and Health, and works collaboratively with medical and counseling staff to perform clinical nursing and health education programming.
This position includes the following responsibilities:
- Work independently to perform basic nursing assessment, nursing interventions, health education, treatment and referral as appropriate for individual student need.
- Provide clinical assistance for physicians/NP. This includes patient preparation, assistance with exams and procedures, laboratory specimen collection, laboratory testing, scheduling tests, making referrals, and doing all patient follow-up.
- Dispense medications, give injections (immunizations, allergy, travel, etc) and do TB skin testing as per physician/NP order.
- Provide information and counseling on reproductive health issues and dispense birth control as per physician/NP order.
- Provide health information applicable to travel destination for University sponsored travel, Student Exchange and Study Abroad programs.
- Assist students with disabilities with their care management needs.
- Provide nursing assessment, triage and treatment of summer camp participants as per summer camp and office policy and procedure.
- Participate in the development and implementation of health education programs that address student health issues (programming responsibilities include public speaking).
- Participate in campus-wide communicable disease control and emergency response.
- Serve as a consultant for campus-wide health issues and work with other University Departments to ensure a safe and healthy learning environment.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) required at time of application
- Current Wisconsin Nursing License or eligibility to obtain upon appointment
- 3 years of RN nursing experience
- Three years experience in an outpatient setting such as but not limited to, a medical clinic, physician's office, home health nurse, school nurse, or public health agency
- Experience with program development
- Experience with public speaking
- Experience using an electronic medical records system
April 1, 2013
Conditions of Appointment:
Position is a full-time academic staff appointment. Official transcripts of the highest degree achieved will be required of finalist(s). A criminal conviction investigation will be conducted on the finalist(s). In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Salary Range of $41,336-$48,000; the UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan. ( Total Compensation Estimator ).