Under the supervision of the DON the Unit Manager assumes responsibility and accountability for assigned core programs. Leadership is provided to all nursing staff through daily oversight of nursing care on the assigned unit(s). Unit Managers adhere to the standards of care, manage the environment to maintain resident/patient safety, and supervise the resident/patient care activities performed by RNs, LPNs and Nursing Assistants. May act on behalf of the DON in her/his absence. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures and performs duties as defined by the State Nurse Practice Act.
1. Supervisory Responsibilities
2. Responsible for over seeing assigned Extendicare core programs
- Makes daily work assignments.
- *Directs the work of employees.
- Schedules lunch and rest breaks
- Authorizes early departure from work.
- Authorizes overtime.
- Reassigns employees from one area to another area as facility needs dictate.
- Prepares written evaluations of assigned employees.
- Enforces facility policies with authority to issue Disciplinary Action Reports as needed.
- Authority to suspend employees for rules violation.
- Initials time records to authorize variances.
- Interviews applicants that will be assigned to his/her area of responsibility.
- Receives and handles employee complaints.
- *Participates in training programs and assists in orientation of new staff.
- Review all daily physician Orders check follow through
- Attends standup and reviews 24-hour report
- On call as scheduled
- Assist with resolution of resident/family concerns
3. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and act in accordance with Extendicare Health Services, Inc.’s Corporate Compliance Program.
4. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
5. *Attends and participates in in-service training, performance improvement (“PI”) committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed.
6. Follows facility dress and hygiene policies.
8. Resident Rights
- Knows and follows facility rules.
- *Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
- Follows facility-smoking policies.
- Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor.
- *Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
- Uses required protective equipment.
- Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures.
- Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights.
- Reports resident/patient complaints to management.
- Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information.
The designation of “essential functions” and “other duties” is for purposes of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employees holding this position will be required to perform all job duties, consistent with law. In addition, employees must meet applicable health requirements imposed by law.
- Participates in evening manager program as assigned
- Support and assist with Mentor and Greeting programs
- *Participates in all-hands dining.
- *Performs other duties as directed by facility management.
- *Participates in marketing events.
- *Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
This description has been prepared to assist in evaluating various classes of responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions given this classification. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities. Nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. Nothing contained herein is intended or shall be construed to create or constitute a contract of employment between any employee or group of employees and the Employer. The Employer retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
Education : Possesses a current license to practice in the State as an RN.
Experience : At least one year of prior supervisory experience preferred. Prior experience working in a long-term care facility required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities : Ability to relate positively, effectively and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about, working with long-term care residents and the elderly. Ability to read, write, speak and understand English. Meets all health requirements, as required by law. Knowledge of long term rules and regulations. Proficient in Microsoft Office version 1997, 2000 or XP, E-mail, Outlook, Internet Explorer.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. The tasks on this position description marked with an asterisk (*) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff.
If you can hear yourself saying one of the following:
"Helping People Live Better."
"Revolutionizing Post-Acute Therapy."
A challenging and exciting career at Extendicare, ProStep or VCPI awaits you. We value our customers and our teams who care for them. We are enthusiastic about helping others by providing quality care, rehabilitation and IT services. If you are interested in a rewarding career, passionate staff, and a diverse team apply
ProStep Rehabilitation - 24 months ago
Extendicare Health Services, Inc. (EHSI) prides itself on helping people live better, by providing comprehensive nursing, therapeutic and...