Master's Degree required
The Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner works in collaboration with the primary care physician and palliative care physician to deliver palliative care and health care services to patients. The NP will also perform procedures for which her or she is privileged to do and will document/dictate assessments, evaluations, consultation reports and progress notes. All duties are performed with the collaboration of the attending physicians and consulting palliative care physicians. The NP will initiate early intervention with the objective of providing timely, optimum care and minimizing patient length of stays. Orders, H/P reports, progress notes and other chart entries made by the NP must be reviewed and cosigned by a physician within 24 hours in accordance with Policy 6-312i Medical Record Completion
1. Performs clinical care which includes bedside evaluation of patients, patient histories; physical examinations; radiological and laboratory interpretations; follow-up inpatient care; discharge orders, patient instructions and education; and participation in case management.
2. Provides services related to health maintenance and promotion, palliative care and end of life care, assesses patient needs and anticipates service requirements prior to discharge to home. Coordinates with hospital social workers, case managers and applicable ancillary staff regarding palliative care services.
3. Assists with diagnosis, treatment and management of acute and chronic health conditions. Orders, performs, and interprets laboratory and radiology tests.
4. Prescribes medications including controlled substances to the extent delegated and licensed. Orders treatments and durable medical equipment as indicated. Performs other therapeutic or corrective measures as indicated, including urgent care.
5. Educates clinical staff, patients and families on applicable disease management and prevention strategies. Adheres to the practice of confidentiality regarding patients, families, staff and the organization. Makes post discharge phone calls on selected patients. Supports shared governance and participates when appropriate.
6. Works collaboratively with physicians, physician extenders, and other health care providers to optimize patient care. Consults with PC physician or designees as needed, informs primary physician of services provided and collaboration with another physician if ordered; provides written reports to primary physician upon request.
7. Prepares and maintains accurate patient records, charts and documents to support sound medical practice and reimbursement for services provided. Initiates reimbursement for services rendered. Complies with applicable laws and regulations with respect to collaborative agreements.
8. Completes mandatory inservice education.
9. Provides call as needed based on other palliative care availability.
10. Complies with all Cheyenne Regional policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
· Ability to assess a patient’s condition, formulate plan of care, select appropriate interventions, evaluate patient’s response to plan of care and to explain to patient/family about this process.
· Ability to assess, evaluate, explain, teach, problem solve using critical thinking; and perform calculations.
· Demonstrates excellent professional/clinical skills and utilization of the Nursing process of direct and indirect patient care which includes assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care to meet patient needs and improve patient outcomes.
· Expert knowledge in clinical area of specialty.
· Completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nurse program.
· Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nurse licensure in the State of Wyoming .
· RN licensure in the State of Wyoming .
· Current CPR and specialty certifications as required per department (i.e. BLS and ACLS ) .
· Current Wyoming drivers license and auto insurance.
· Controlled substance license.
· 2 years experience as an RN or NP in Palliative Care/Hospice/Home Care/long term care.
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center is a 222-bed hospital, located in Cheyenne, Wyoming. We provide exceptional patient care and are passionate...