Under the general supervision and direction of the Director of Accounting & Finance, and working with a team comprised of professionals physically located in the Dallas, London and Washington, D.C. offices, the Tax Senior is responsible for ensuring the firm’s tax compliance in all domestic and international jurisdictions, preparing and filing all firm and expatriate tax forms, and preparing and reviewing workpapers to support financial statements and tax returns. The Tax Senior is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Tax Senior must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
Other Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Prepare, review and file sales and use tax returns in a multi-state environment.
- Prepare, review and file unclaimed property tax returns in a multi-state environment.
- Prepare and file business property tax in multi-state environment.
- Review fixed assets and depreciation computations and schedules and analysis of related general ledger accounts.
- Analyze partner capital accounts, review the partner draw report and related balance sheet account analyses to support preparation of tax returns and compliance with partner compensation agreements.
- Prepare and review workpapers to support monthly and year end budget variance reports, financial statements (income tax basis) and tax returns.
- Prepare workpapers and assist outside accountants with preparation of the partnership’s federal, state, local and foreign income tax returns in a multi-state, multi-national environment.
- Review all bank reconciliations and balance sheet accounts and prepare monthly analysis and correcting entries.
- Interface with independent auditors.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Prepare annual foreign bank account report to US Treasury.
- Prepare and review of pension workpapers and trial balance for pension plan audits.
- Perform basic tax research related to tax treaties, payroll, sales and use tax, and other topics as needed.
- Responsible for tax compliance and compensation issues relating to expatriate employees and partners.
- Assist with keeping department current on technology issues within firm.
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Public accounting partnership tax experience (or equivalent)
- Familiarity with electronic tax preparation and projection software
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate potentially detailed and complex information to others
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Advanced proficiency and extensive experience in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Strong service orientation, and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
- Certified Public Accountant credentials preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP - 14 months ago