The Business Intelligence Specialist is responsible for designing and implementing advanced reporting tools and analytics utilizing Business Objects XI 3.x or later (4.0 preferred) accessing an Oracle database.
This individual will analyze business requirements from multiple areas delivering business intelligence solutions enabling actionable business decisions from Road Scholar staff. The business intelligence solution will need to provide advance drill through capabilities from executive level dashboard to operational user reports. The successful candidate brings good business sense and a thorough and diverse knowledge of data base, integration, report design, and delivery of solutions in complex environments.
Candidates for the job must provide subject matter expertise in areas including Oracle and Business Objects.
Personal characteristics contribute to the incumbent’s ability to excel within this position are:
• Prefers to work independently with little supervision
• Understands the importance of maintaining a robust, stable, and reliable production database and reporting environment
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to develop effective working relationships with others, a demonstrated customer focus, teamwork skills, and a willingness to share technical and business knowledge with IT team members and users and become a coach and mentor in those technologies.
• Shows self-discipline and conscientiousness needed to meet responsibilities
- This role is driven by a series of critical, imminent projects which the selected candidate will lead or play an active role. These projects require hands-on Oracle database and Business Objects 4.0 report development by the selected candidate.
- Create and migrate existing Business Objects reports from an external marketing database environment to a new Oracle/Business Objects 4.0 environment
- Modify and manage data extractions from our Siebel Oracle databases to our marketing database environment at Epsilon. Take ownership of existing code and processes.
- Migrate internal Business Objects reports from an older Business Objects environment to a new Business Objects environment
- In addition to these specific projects, the selected candidate will be expected to:
- Work closely with application developers, vendors, and system administrators ensuring best practices for the reporting environment design, integrity, performance, and security management are followed
- Take responsibility for any nightly reporting batch processes and troubleshoot and resolve reporting-related problems.
- Provide production and development support (SQL, PL/SQL and Business Objects).
- Provides weekend and off-hours production support as needed.
- Install, create, and maintain Business Objects software and tools for development, testing, and production environments.
- Create Oracle user defined functions and stored procedures where needed
- Analyzes database performance indicators and recommends improvement actions.
- Assist application developers and report designers with SQL query optimization
- BA/BS degree and 5+ years of relevant professional work experience
- 5+ years Oracle experience
- 5+ years’ experience in advance data warehouse and reporting environments in complex enterprise reporting solution rollouts
- 3-5 years’ experience in Business Objects 3.x or greater as a hands-on technical developer, including complex extraction, transformation, loading, data modeling, report development, and report publishing.
- Ability to scope, design, develop, and maintain Business Objects reporting universes including advanced understanding of contexts, aggregate awareness, and universe linking
- Excellent knowledge of database and SQL performance tuning
- Experience transforming business intelligence development tasks from IT to users
- Demonstrated capabilities in teaching non-IT staff how to use SQL, reporting tools, analysis tools, and how to publish output through the web, email, and print to a broader, internal, audience
- Experience with using scripting languages (would prefer Python) to automate routine processes
QUALIFIED candidates – Please email COVER LETTER with salary expectations (a must for consideration; a range is fine) and resume to email@example.com . Thank you.
Road Scholar celebrates diversity in its staff, programs and participants.
Road Scholar is the world’s largest nonprofit provider of educational travel programs to the mature travel market. With 9 offices and...