Vice President, Marketing & Communications
The United Way of The Midlands, Omaha’s leading charity for more than 90 years, seeks a Vice President, Marketing & Communications to oversee the agency’s brand management. The critical role of this area has recently evolved exponentially with the transformation of the business and requires a professional experienced in refreshing a brand. The Vice President is accountable for positioning UWM as a proactive catalyst for community change and for directing the development of all external communications tailored to a variety of target audiences, including current donors, prospective donors, community and business leaders, elected officials, the media and more.
The Vice President will expand and direct the evolution and execution of marketing, communications and public relations strategies and activities to enable each key business area to meet its performance objectives and to ensure the achievement of UWM’s vision and value proposition. The Vice President reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer of UWM.
Accountabilities: In addition to the leadership role, the Vice President, Marketing & Communications, fulfills the following primary functions:
STRATEGIC POSITIONING and COMMUNICATIONS |
• Develop and implement a strategic plan to better understand and ultimately communicate with all target audiences; define opportunities and develop relationship-building strategies and plans to generate customer loyalty. o Utilize communications strategies/plan to make “Safety Net and Bold Goals” a cause people can identify with and take action to support, achieving an emotional connection with target audiences through issues management, marketing materials, events, and other communications vehicles. o Implement a communications and marketing plan that achieves measurable goals, connects potential donors to the issues important to them, and inspires participation in UWM programs and fundraising activities.
• Actively manage the UWM brand positioning, by developing key messages and maintaining a distinct identity for the organization that resonates with target audiences.
• Oversee integration of media planning and advertising, market research, audience segmentation, marketing and sales support, sponsorships, and direct and e-marketing.
• Oversees integration of public affairs, issues management, public relations, product marketing/sales support, direct and e-marketing and community engagement to support business outcomes
• Provide issues management, strategic communication, public outreach and other activities to inform and influence policies and opinions in areas of interest.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with traditional news and new media, key civic and business organizations, and provide information and communications tools as needed to officials at City, County, State and Federal levels.
• Create and leverage strategic partnerships with outside organizations that deliver maximum value to UWM and its partner organizations.
• Oversee public and media relations work in an effort to better position UWM, its CEO and Community Impact staff as leaders and experts in the key areas (safety net and bold goals).
• Work cross-functionally with the other members of the executive team and with the President/CEO to ensure consistency of messaging and to achieve synergy in realizing common goals. Manages a department budget and a team of three full time employees.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required. Master’s degree a plus, but not required. Achievement of APR is highly desirable.
Experience Requirements: 7+ years’ experience in strategic marketing, re-branding, communications, sales support, public relations, branding and social media. Achievement of APR is highly desirable.
An energetic interest for brand management that permeates through personality, thinking, building relationships, interacting with stakeholders, story-telling, and implementing strategy Ability to tailor communications that effectively connects with diverse audiences.
Proven ability to develop and implement public affairs, marketing and communications plans that achieve specific, measurable results.
Public affairs track record and relationships with local, state and federal elected and appointed officials.
Exceptional interpersonal, leadership, supervisory and organization skills; ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities; ability to navigate complex situations, helping to resolve ambiguity and inspire colleagues to their best performance.
Outstanding communication skills; a good listener who includes and engages others and can modify his/her approach to the audience; superior written and oral communications; adept at public speaking
Familiarity with the Metro Omaha market, issues, and constituents is a plus.
United Way - 12 months ago