DIRECTOR OF PATIENT SAFETY & ACCREDIATION
Location: BON SECOURS HEALTH SYSTEM OFFICE, MARRIOTTSVILLE, MD
Department: CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICE
Requisition Number: 42604
Schedule: Full Time
Exempt from Overtime: Yes
The Director position has responsibility for the clinical quality objectives of patient safety and accreditation and regulatory compliance.
The Director is responsible for strengthening culture, structure, systems and processes for patient safety. The incumbent will reinforce the BSHSI Quality Vision by enhancing plans and methodologies for providing safe care, reducing harm and reducing mortality. The incumbent will lead activities dedicated to the prevention of errors in order to prevent harm, improve quality and decrease costs.
The Director serves as the Patient Safety Officer. In this role, the incumbent will collaborate with the interdisciplinary team to maximize the impact of the clinical information system; the role of Connect Care in error reduction and care redesign to improve patient safety. The incumbent is responsible for translating policies, theories, and strategies into action within the complex inter relationships that exist related to patient safety. The incumbent will assess, collaborate, coordinate and facilitate the application of safe practices and human factors analysis.
The Director will provide guidance, help build strategic plans and assist with implementation of approaches to ensure currency to accreditation standards and that regulatory obligations are fulfilled. The Director will organize system wide initiatives related to accrediting bodies and quality organizations. The incumbent will educate and coach with a focus on the survey readiness and continuous compliance with accreditation and regulatory standards.
The Director will obtain pertinent data to support safety and regulatory performance and translate the data into useful information. The Director will monitor results and communicate the effectiveness of implemented strategies and local system programs and processes.
1. A Master's degree from an accredited college or university in a Clinical, Health Care Administration or
applicable course of study.
2. Minimum of fifteen (15) years of healthcare experience; at least ten (10) years in a clinical leadership or
3. Knowledgeable of human factors, systems or safety engineering and error prevention theory and
4. Knowledgeable of current accreditation, practices, standards, regulatory and legal requirements.
5. Ability to utilize management concepts to make sound and effective recommendations and direct all levels
6. Exceptional judgment, discretion, and ability to communicate with a wide range of people internal and
external to the organization.
7. Strong organizational, planning, problem solving, technology, analytical, judgment , research
skills and project management skills.
8. Skilled in analysis, writing and verbal communication and the ability to communicate with all knowledge
and skill levels in non-judgmental, non confrontational manner.
9. Direct work of others, work within a matrix organization, work effectively and efficiently under tight
deadlines, high volume and multiple interruptions.
10. Demonstrated ability to educate, train, coach all skill levels.
11. Proven to possess a global perspective- big picture view of interrelatedness of healthcare practices and
12. Knowledge of hospital finances, reimbursement, creating and developing budgets.
13. Data driven mindset and understanding of statistical and analytic methods
14. Experience working with highly confidential and proprietary information.
15. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, email, intranet, internet, and other systems.
1. Registered Nurse with risk or quality certifications and/or graduate certificate
2. Active RN license
3. Two years of consulting experience
4. Experience working in not-for-profit and faith-based institutions
5. Strong computer competency skills with electronic medical records experience
6. Experience working within a demanding corporate environment in a multistate/multi-entity
Bon Secours Health System - 18 months ago
Bon Secours Health System, Inc. based in Marriottsville, Maryland, is a $3 billion dollar not-for-profit Catholic health system that owns,...