The Public Works Data and GIS Specialist performs intermediate professional and administrative work and difficult technical work involved in the organization, maintenance and configuration of the Public Works GIS and data information. The work requires regular contacts within the department, with other departments, outside agencies, the general public and City residents seeking information on specialized matters. The physical demands of the job are light and the working conditions are good. The work is subject to general policy direction, practices and procedures covered by precedents and general supervisory review. The position has meaningful impact on the customers and operations of the Department, as well as the City.
Examples of Duties:
- Strong background in ArcGIS desktop including data/project development, visualization and spatial analysis.
- Coordinates GIS efforts with Public Works and assists staff in integrating GIS technology into project work and other City of Rockville departments.
- Interest in creative problem-solving, the application of emerging technology, and providing highly-responsive, high-quality service
- Perform GIS database development, qualitative/quantitative analysis, and mapping as a member of various engineering, environmental, operational services project teams
- Support development of GIS based asset management and/or Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Compile, manipulate, and refine geographic data from a variety of sources including public domain, field observation, existing engineering drawings and staff files
- Builds and maintains Public Works GIS database and creates geographic layers and objects required by users.
- Advises and provides assistance to engineers and other staff in compiling and utilizing basic geographic data in support of Public Works projects and programs; such as Cues Granitexp for the sanitary sewer system, Automated Vehicle Location (AVL), Route Smart, .
- Develops specifications for additional GIS and GPS related hardware and software.
- Performs customization to existing GIS applications using simple programming language, editing and other customization tools.
- Prepare, update and distribute GIS maps and new information as it becomes available.
- Provides general software and database support for the Engineering Division.
- Keeps current with new GIS and GPS information and technology.
- Produce detailed, high-quality cartographic products (digital and hardcopy) and accompanying reports in accordance with technical guidelines
- Communicate with project team members and other stakeholders to define data needs, project requirements, and desired outputs
- Perform regular quality control checks of GIS Data and non-spatial databases with minimal supervision to ensure data integrity
- Manage individual project tasks related to GIS, database design and management, and data visualization
- Provides training sessions, prepares training materials and gives presentations to GIS users.
Any combination of training and experience substantially equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree or higher in engineering, geography, planning, information systems or related field to include a working knowledge of geographic information system (GIS); OR an Associates degree in a geography/surveying related field and two (2) years of progressive work experience using GIS. Additional desired knowledge includes ArcGIS, AutoCAD, ArcObjects, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and relational database experiences.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of GIS principles and practice, with experience in GIS, database, and information technology.
- Knowledge of cartographic principles and experience in preparing presentable and professional maps from GIS data.
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills.
- Skill in database design, creation and maintenance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to train others, including preparing materials and making presentations.
- Ability to work with Public Works utilities, including plan interpretation and GIS data entry and management.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude with Public Works staff.
City of Rockville - 2 years ago