Finance and Strategy
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people's health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
The Finance and Strategy group is responsible for implementing and maintaining operating procedures designed to ensure rigorous stewardship of the foundation's financial resources. We oversee the business processes that govern the foundation's basic grantmaking and risk management; evaluate and improve the impact of the foundation's grantmaking; and produce accurate and transparent financial analyses and reports. We also coordinate public-private partnerships across the different grantmaking areas to optimize effectiveness and share best practices, and we drive a number of special initiatives related to planning for substantial increases in long-term payout and overall growth.
Responsible for preparing and ensuring the accuracy of the Foundation's tax and regulatory filings in a relevant and timely manner, including the filings required for the regional offices and the Trust (endowment). Manage the master regulatory checklist for all the foundation's entities assuring all filings are completed in a timely manner. Manage the tracking of bank account authorizations to ensure proper account access. Assist with tax research, writing technical memos on the tax treatment of unique financial transactions of the foundation and trust, review of investment and cash activity, implementation of process improvements in the areas of regulatory compliance and cash forecasting, and other projects assigned by the Tax Manager and Investment and Treasury Manager.
- Prepare accurate and timely tax and regulatory filings to ensure compliance with domestic and international regulations in all jurisdictions in which the foundation operates. This includes preparation of:
- Form 990-PF,Form 990-T, and related filings, including state returns and quarterly estimated tax payments. Preparation of these forms involves working closely with the Tax Manager and the foundation's outside CPA firm.
- Form 1042, Annual Withholding Tax Return for US Sourced Income of Foreign Persons. This includes year-round monitoring of US sourced income paid to foreign vendors and assisting the accounts payable team in setting up foreign vendors in the financial system.
- State and local business & occupation, and parking tax returns.
- Washington state use tax calculations.
- Withholding tax calculations for India and China.
- Manage the master regulatory checklist for all the foundation's entities assuring all filings are completed in a timely manner.
- Work with the Tax Manager to establish, update, maintain and distribute domestic and international financial procedure manuals and policies with input from international office managers.
- Work with the Tax Manager and the Payroll team on employment tax filings in various jurisdictions.
- Research domestic federal and state tax issues and make recommendations on policy and process improvements for domestic and international offices. This includes researching nexus issues and the implications of the foundation's activities in various states and foreign countries.
- Assist Investment & Treasury Manager to track banking activity and fees, investment and cash activity for Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) and related reporting, and benchmark investment indices on a monthly basis.
- Assist Investment & Treasury Manager to evaluate and improve cash forecasting methodology.
- Assist Investment & Treasury Manager to create and review quarter cash flow analyses for investment activity and potential tax implications.
- Evaluate whether tax is due based on the foundation's specific fact pattern and the country specific laws.
- Determine whether federal tax withholding applies to a vendor or grantee based on their agreement with the foundation.
- Determine appropriate tax/accounting treatment for accounting transactions to ensure they are captured in accordance with state and federal law.
- May have limited financial responsibility as determined under Delegation of Authority.
Internal contacts include: staff across multiple departments including legal, GWR, contracts, regional offices, and all members of the GFAS team which includes presenting results, findings and proposed solutions directly to the Investment and Treasury Manager and Tax Manager.
External contacts include: working with outside vendors including, accounting firms and banking institutions.
The foundation's expanding international presence and increased complexity of endowment assets require careful review and research to determine the best course of action in tax, regulatory, investment and treasury related decisions.
Problems are somewhat complex and require research and careful review of options.
- Experience in public accounting or private sector tax, or not-for-profit tax preferred. International tax experience a plus.
- Strong technical skills in the use of financial accounting and reporting software as well as MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and Outlook. Prior experience with Great Plains or other enterprise software preferred.
- Understand communication channels using good judgment and escalating appropriately.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to positively interact with staff at all levels within the organization.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Comfortable with shifting priorities and frequent change.
- Desire to build new processes and apply best practices. Experience working in a high growth organization strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance with 3-5 years of experience in tax compliance in a for-profit, not-for-profit, and/or international tax environment.
- CPA desirable.
- Commitment to the foundation's core values, mission and programs.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.
You don't have to be one of the world's richest men or know one to make a difference with your charitable gifts -- but it helps....