The Linux Systems Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- installation, upgrade and configuration of Linux server hardware and software in a physical and virtual environment
- maintaining security by installing updates to software and the Linux operating system
- implementation of Linux software, utility programs and scripts
- monitoring server and system performance and making adjustments to correct issues
- configuring and monitoring backup jobs to ensure data protection
- utilizing enterprise Storage (SAN) in a Linux environment
- working with hardware and software support engineers to diagnose and correct problems
- participation in on-call rotation
- preparing documentation, memos and various reports for use within Information Technology
The successful candidate should have the knowledge and skills required for installing and supporting Linux server operating systems and associated software; experience with scripting languages, experience managing enterprise backup software in a Linux environment, experience managing enterprise storage in a Linux environment; knowledge, skills and abilities required for preparing and presenting formal and informal written and oral presentations of a technical nature, as well as using and understanding written, oral and visual technical material.
Virginia Jobs - 4 months ago
James Madison University, also known as JMU, is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The JMU mission statement is: We are committed to prepari...