Category Manager, Corporate Procurement
RockTenn (NYSE: RKT)
RockTenn is one of North America’s leading manufacturers of paperboard, containerboard, consumer and corrugated packaging and one of the world’s largest paper recyclers, with annualized net sales of approximately $10 billion. Over the years, Rock-Tenn has outpaced its peers in revenues, profitability, EBITDA and stock price. We’ve done this by creating and following a bold strategy of: exceeding our customers' expectations every time, creating long-term shareholder value and encouraging and rewarding employee excellence.
Since its founding in 1936, Rock-Tenn has focused on developing packaging and paperboard products that bring high value to its customers, employees and shareholders. The company now operates 183 manufacturing facilities, 25 paper mills and 37 recycling facilities throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Chile and China. We employ 26,000 employees and are North America’s largest paper recycler, largest display manufacturer, largest pre-print linerboard producer, 2nd largest producer of containerboard and corrugated packaging and the 2nd largest producer of clay-coated recycled paperboard.
RockTenn is seeking a Category Manager to be located in Duluth, GA. This position will have immediate exposure to Home Office business units and to all RockTenn divisions. The primary focus of this role is the area of Indirect Spend . Experience in any of the following categories listed is a plus.
Temp Labor, Employee Benefits, Consulting Services, Legal Services, Janitorial Services, and Security Services
Purpose of the Position
A Category Manager must be capable of strategically sourcing purchasing programs, negotiating terms and conditions with suppliers, contributing to legal contract creation and execution, implementing purchasing programs and suppliers, communicating program information to program participants and leadership stakeholders, creating and managing continuous improvement projects within purchasing programs, managing suppliers, and supporting company e-procurement systems.
He/she will work with Home Office leaders, plant personnel, division representatives, and senior stakeholders. Communication is critical in the success of a category manager at RockTenn. This is both a tactical and strategic position. The job requires a strategic vision to develop value-added opportunities that will generate cost savings, operational efficiencies, and managerial efficiencies. He/she must be able to balance both the tactical and strategy nature of this position. Project management skills are a must.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Gathering purchasing history data
- Creating Request for Proposals
- Analyzing Request for Proposals
- Recommending awards
- Facilitating contract execution
- Implementing programs across multiple locations
- Managing supplier performance
- Producing monthly reports
- Must be very efficient in MS Excel 2007 and/or 2010; able to analyze large datasets, able to convert raw data into usable, presentable information; familiarity and comfort with MS Access is a plus
- Must be proficient in PowerPoint; individual should be comfortable giving presentations (both live and via WebEx) to large groups and senior leaders
- Must be able to manage a project, timeline, and resources; individual must be able to own a project in which other people contribute
Background / Experience:
- 4+ years job-related work experience in strategic sourcing, category management, or project management
- Experience creating and managing projects and procurement programs
- Experience preparing and presenting program summaries to leadership stakeholders and end-users
- High degree of judgment and ingenuity required to deal with complex factors
- Experience in any of the Corporate Procurement categories listed at the top is a plus
Education / Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree REQUIRED; preferably in Business Administration, Finance, Supply-Chain, Procurement, or Logistics
- Strong working knowledge and experience with MS Office
- Experience with Project Management and PMO Tools
At RockTenn, we seek to be the most respected in the industry. Our employees are committed to exceeding their customers' expectations -- every time. If you enjoy this shared commitment to excellence and discovering value where others haven’t we would like you to consider RockTenn as your employer of choice.
Rock-Tenn Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. M/F/D/V
Rock Tenn Company - 22 months ago