This position is responsible for providing RF engineering for 2-way radio systems in Duke Energy's Midwest Service Territories. Familiarity with FCC licensing and Engineering support for associated systems such as self-supporting towers, feedlines, antennas, equipment shelters, DC power systems, generators, and transient / grounding protection would be beneficial.
Specific job responsibilities:
Depending upon the desired qualifications of the successful candidate, the hiring manager may elect to fill this position at a higher level within the job hierarchy.
- Ensures cost effective design of systems that incorporate sound engineering practices, utilizing the latest in proven technology with the ultimate goal of meeting business needs and providing a reliable and efficient service to the user.
- Prepares specifications for new telecommunications equipment and services; evaluates quotations and proposals to ensure that the best equipment for the job is purchased; requisitions equipment and assigns accurate accounting information.
- Develops, plans and prepares engineering job packages consisting of detailed parts / equipment list, logical installation instructions, and appropriate documentation (drawings, wiring diagrams, layouts, etc.) to support an efficient installation and maintenance process.
- Resolves complex technical problems and provides technical assistance to Installation and Maintenance personnel, Telecommunications Operations Center (TOC), and the Wireless Support Group.
- Maintains familiarity with current telecommunications technology and available facilities.
- Monitors installations to ensure compliance with applicable FCC and FAA regulations, guidelines, standards, and procedures.
- Prepares and submits cost estimates, economic studies, and expenditure approval requests for planned projects where required.
- Works effectively with other team members to successfully implement microwave and radio installations.
- 4-year engineering degree or 2-year technical degree in a related field.
- 2 years work experience in Telecommunications related engineering and/or technical project management.
- 3 years work experience in radio systems.
- Hands-on experience with telecommunications wireless technologies.
- Ability to work productively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to resolve technical problems through the use of various resources.
- Strong team player with the ability to manage multiple tasks and assignments.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills to interact with customers and staff in a timely, tactful, and effective manner
- Proficient in use of E-mail, MS Windows and MS Office - Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to interact with and communicate status to various levels of management
- Posses a can-do attitude with a stung desire to learn new technologies and processes
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 5 years work experience in engineering, project management, and/or technical support.
- Recognized as a role model for leadership excellence and displays integrity and respect for employees
- Strong Vendor Management Skills and familiarity with Duke's Supply Chain Processes
- Experienced in use of documentation tools such as AutoCAD, Visio, EDX.
- Familiarity with state, federal, and local regulations as they apply to wireless telecommunications facilities
Duke Energy Carolinas (formerly Duke Power) energizes the Carolinas as well as its parent company's sales. A part of top US power firm...