Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At HHS you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. Join HHS and help make our world healthier, safer and better for all Americans.
The Indian Health Service is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified Indian applicants and employees who are qualified and suitable for Federal employment. The Indian Health Service (IHS) by law is committed to affording employment preference to American Indian and Alaska Native candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. In other than the above, the Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To be eligible for this position under the Delegated Examining (DE) hiring plan, you must be a U.S. Citizen.
This position is also being announced under Announcement # IHS-12-AB-594295-ESEP/MP for those who want to be considered under Merit Promotion Plan/Excepted Service Examining Plan. If you wish to be considered under all hiring plans you MUST submit an application to BOTH job opportunity announcements.
RE-ADVERTISEMENT -- Those who already applied for this position "DO NOT" Need to Re-Apply UNLESS you would like to update your application and/or supporting documents; your applications will be re-considered.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Northern Plains Region Aberdeen Area, Office of Environmental Health & Engineering (OEH&E), Department of Sanitation Facilities Construction, Field Office Minot, Minot, North Dakota.
Minot, ND 1 vacancy
Salary range: $34,907.00 - $45,376.00 ( Annually )
Promotion potential: NONE
Merit Promotion Position: YES
Travel Required? YES--Frequent travel is required for this position.
Supervisory/Managerial Position: NO
Relocation Expenses Paid: YES--Travel & Relocation Expenses WILL BE Paid in the interest of the government and not in the interest of the selected employee.
Is drug testing required? NO
Is government housing available? NO
Is this a bargaining unit position? NO
TOUR OF DUTY? FULL-TIME / PERMANENT
If applicable, This position requires that you obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
"WHO MAY APPLY SECTION"
ANY U.S. CITIZEN
- visit email@example.com for more information on "Who May Apply".
Must be a U.S. Citizen.
Position subject to background investigation.
A valid driver’s license is required. (Submit a Photo-Copy).
As part of the pre-employment process, fingerprint checks are required.
Please ensure you answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you losing consideration for the job.
MAJOR DUTIES : This position is that of Engineering Technician for the Minot District Office of Environmental Health and Engineering, Indian Health Service, located in Minot, North Dakota. The incumbent serves in the capacity to assist the Division of Sanitation Facilities Construction staff in the implementation of the Public Law 86-121 construction program on Indian Reservations within the Minot District and Aberdeen Area. The purpose of this position is to assist in project development, design, construction, as-built development, and project training of individual and community water supply, wastewater disposal and solid waste disposal facilities. The work is performed in accordance with policies, practices, regulations, and standards as established and disseminated by Headquarters and the Aberdeen Area Office.
- Construction inspections of on-going construction work and coordinate construction staking to include designating locations for trenching, excavations, and facilities in accordance with plans and specifications.
- Independently operates survey equipment to check or reestablish vertical control on any project site.
- Operate survey equipment to check or reestablish horizontal control on any project site with planning assistance from the Project Engineer.
- Able to independently interpret standard specifications and drawings. Requires minor assistance from the Project Engineer with the interpretation of non-standard drawings and specifications.
- Construction inspection of sanitation facilities construction projects which includes, but is not limited to the construction of septic tank-absorption field systems; well drilling; pump installations; and construction of water mains, sewer mains, water and sewer service lines, sewage lagoons, sewage lift stations, sewage treatment systems, solid waste facilities, water storage reservoirs, and pump houses.
- The incumbent records quantity installed, prepares as-built sketches, maintains daily construction logs and prepares weekly progress reports, and insures that facilities are being installed in accordance with contract specifications and submits it to the Project Engineer for review.
- Assists project engineer and/or surveying technician in performing boundary surveys, topographic surveys, level loops, right-of-way surveys, and traverse surveys for project designs, construction staking, and as-builts.
- Practical knowledge of and skill in applying, an extensive body of standard procedures or operations requiring extended training or experience in technical engineering methods and practices within the area of specialization sufficient to: Select the most efficient methods and procedures; carry out standard procedures based on assignments; use, adapt, or adjust equipment for optimum operation; interpret plans and specifications; apply and use data with consideration of the source characteristics; inspect and test a variety of equipment and materials; extract data from a variety of sources; complete very exact measurements using standard formulas; recognize and report errors, inconsistencies, and other deficiencies in technical data; keep records and prepare reports; and review findings and make recommendations to colleagues and supervisors.
- Will assist the-project engineer and/or engineer technician in the operation of the GPS, transit, or level; to set up control points, lines and grades, establishing vertical and horizontal control points on individual home and/or community construction projects including water lines, sewer lines, earthwork construction, etc.; is responsible for reducing information to notes and/or sketches, and computes quantities.
- Incumbent is responsible for proper storage of equipment, batteries being fully charged when arriving to jobsite, organizing equipment so that it is not damaged, broken, or lost on the jobsite.
- Performs other position related duties as assigned.
Individual Occupational Requirements:
SERIES DEFINITION : This series covers technical positions supervising, leading, or performing work involving applying a practical knowledge of the:
Methods and techniques of engineering or architecture; and
Construction, application, properties, operations, and limitations of engineering systems, processes, structures, machinery, devices, and materials.
CERTIFICATION: Engineering technicians may be certified by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies, an organization sponsored by the National Society of Professional Engineers. Certification by the Institute will be helpful as a measure of the technician's quality of experience.
GS-06: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level.
NOTE : Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels and positions for which both education and experience are acceptable.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Work consists of a number of different and unrelated processes in completing assignments and/or projects. Ability to analyze the subject, phase or issues involved in each assignment to adjust or deviate from standard work methods based on situations and conditions at a field or work site and coordinate and plan phases of the assignment. Ability to exercises independent judgment and skill to interpret and analyze considerable data, plan work, or refine methods and techniques to determine the best course of action for problem resolution.
NOTE: Your education may be used to substitute specific work requirements / experience. Your education and work experience MAY be combined to meet the qualification requirements of this position. IF selected and you are qualified based on education you MUST provide an official transcript. (SEE QUALIFICATIONS)
Your application MUST be received by " Midnight Eastern Standard Time " on the closing date of this announcement. Friday, March 02, 2012
You MUST provide the required information during the online application process; if any of the following are missing when the announcement closes we will deem your application incomplete:
1. Resume complete in USAJOBS
2. Responses to Questionnaire
3. Applicable Supporting Documentation (see Required documents section in this announcement for more details)
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and evaluate your relevant personal, educational, and work experiences.
Based on the results of this evaluation, you will be placed in one of three quality categories:
Best Qualified Category -- Meet the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most requirements of the position
Well Qualified Category -- Meets the minimum qualifications requirements and meets most requirements of the position.
Qualified Category -- Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but do not possess the relevant competencies to a substantive degree.
Names of candidates in the Best Qualified Category will be sent to the Hiring Manager for employment consideration.
If you are entitled to veterans' preference, you should indicate the type of veteran's preference you are claiming on your resume, and ensure you submit the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date. If you are entitled to veterans' preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed above qualified non-preference eligibles in your assigned category. Qualified veterans' preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category depending on the position and grade level of the job.
For information on entitlement, VISIT: www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
For I/CTAP purposes, you will be deemed well-qualified if you are placed in at least the well-qualified category.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://my.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc .
If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, you must submit a copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, you must be well qualified with a score of at least 85 for this position.
For information on CTAP/ICTAP, visit:
Additional selections of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement, for filling additional or similar positions. However if there are no qualified Indian Preference candidates on the Certificate the vacancy must be reannounced.
Candidates must meet time-after-competitive appointment, time-in-grade (if applicable), qualification requirements, licensure requirements , performance requirements, citizenship and suitability requirements, and any other eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints.
After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position.
The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
"IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free!"
usajobs.gov - 15 months ago
Indian Health Service's mission is to provide health care and related services for American Indian and Alaska Natives, as well as their...