Internship to work in technical support assisting Novell customers using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) products.
Required Skills :
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to provide accurate and timely resolutions to customer issues over the phone or electronically
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Pursue quality and continuous improvement
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication, and technical writing skills are necessary
- Ability to analyse complex issues and alternative solutions, making logical decisions based on overall customer needs
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently
- High level of initiative and self motivation
- Strong background in administering and troubleshooting Linux
- Specifically, Novell / SuSE will consider candidates that posess the following Linux knowledge and skills
- Basic Linux command line utilities
- File system navigation and management (EVMS, LVM, ReiserFS, EXT3, troubleshooting and repair)
- Boot process, including GRUB
- Installing third party drivers during the installation process
- Assigning rights and access
- Linux Kernel (modules, initrd, sysctl, kernel tuning, parameters)
- Hardware (Interrrupts, I/O, etc)
- Memory utilization issues (cache, VM, tuning, huge pages, overcommit)
- iSCSI, OCFS2 and SANs
- Linux HA clustering (shared disk, Xen DomU, DRBD, OCFS2 integration)
Also, a working knowledge of Novell specific technologies written for Linux is desirable, including
- Xen (explained, networking)
- Open Enterprise Server (NSS and EVMS, NCS Clustering, and mixed clusters)
- Use of administrative tools - YAST, RPM, Rug, iManager
- DFS and archiving versioning
Minimum Qualifications :
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex, critical and sensitive support issues over the phone and electronically. This could include on-site visits.
- Document solutions to known issues.
- Management status and activity reporting to customer and Novell
- Availability to occasionally be on call after hours and on weekends
- Actively working toward a bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar technical field. Must be attending school full-time to qualify for internship.
- Experience with all versions of SLES
- Programming experience preferred
- CLP, CLE certification and/or practical experience with Linux is strongly desired
- CNE, CDE certification and/or practical experience with Novell NetWare is desired
- Extensive PC experience required
- Experience with multiple network operating systems such as NetWare, Linux and Windows is required
- Ability to travel to customer's locations and resolve technical issues while maintaining good relationships with customer and Novell / SuSE is required
With more than 340 employees, SuSE Linux AG is one of the world's largest Linux specialists. Thanks to its stability and quality, SuSE Linux...