TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR CAREER…
The best people are the best ingredients for our World Class company. Add yourself to the mix at The Boston Beer Company.
Just like our beer is the result of the perfect mix to the finest ingredients and products, our world-class company is the result of the perfect combination of high quality talent. The Boston Beer Company is constantly looking to add “new ingredients” to increase the quality of our organization. That “new ingredient” could be you!
About the Opportunity
We are currently looking for a Senior Sensory Scientist. The Senior Sensory Scientist assists in building a strong testing and training protocol for the production environment. This is a cross-functional role across brewing facilities (SAPB, SABC and A&S initiatives) with a focus on the Cincinnati location. The Senior Sensory Scientist will analyze, interpret and report accurate Sensory-related data. Additionally, he/she will assist in creating experimental designs for on-site trials, and tracking and reporting the results. Key skills include an advanced knowledge in Sensory evaluation, applicable knowledge in statistics, the ability to make recommendations in ambiguous situations, strong problem solving skills, excellent interpersonal skills, mathematical, verbal and written communications skills.
The position is located in Cincinnati, Ohio and reports to the Sensory, Research and Development Manager.
Ingredients To Be A Successful Senior Sensory Scientist:
Core Sensory Responsibilities
- Building, applying, tracking and updating training program across production facilities in conjunction with manager and other sensory staff to meet industry standards
- Designing, implementing, analyzing, interpreting and reporting results that evaluate the performance of products – including weekly and monthly reporting of production evaluations
- Evaluating, developing, and applying new sensory methods to address specific sensory/production issues
- Performing statistical analysis of and reporting on sensory data, primarily production results, including process and ingredient changes (especially design of experiments and multivariate techniques)
- Assisting the research and development of new, improved and/or more cost effective descriptive and research tools, methods and processes
- Fully competent in the use of experimental designs (including two-level factorials and optimization strategies), data management.
- Excellent communication skills including ability to write concise, informative reports and verbally present complex technical information to technical and non-technical audiences. Ability to listen and identify project objective and influence research plan.
- Project management skills. Problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated solid working knowledge in the area of quantitative research which involves the design and implementation of quantitative sensory and consumer research studies, including creation of the research design, implementation and data gathering, data analysis, and trend analysis, interpretation, implications and next steps.
- Solid understanding of statistics including the appropriate use of statistical techniques to analyze and interpret data (including parametric and non-parametric methods, ANOVA, and modeling tools) and the design of experiments (DOE).
- Providing technical direction and mentoring to and/or supervising other scientific professionals on staff
- Making presentations on sensory evaluation to professional organizations and/or continuing education programs/seminars
- Staying current with literature and information about sensory evaluation
- Provide feedback to all Sensory Associates on panel leadership and panel training
To Be Mixed With:
- MS Degree in Sensory Science, Food Science, Statistics, Psychology or another related field with minimum 5 years of Sensory Science project work experience OR BS in related discipline with minimum 7 years of Sensory Science project work experience
- Brewing or alcohol industry a plus
- In-depth knowledge of technical tools that support sensory testing (automated data collection systems, statistical software, like FIZZ or Compusense)
- Proficiency in statistical analysis (xlstat a plus)
- Experience coaching and mentoring others
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven success multi-tasking in a fast paced environment • High degree of ownership and professional commitment
- Travel up to 15% of the time
And Served to You With...
A variety of benefits including extensive training programs, excellent healthcare, a discount stock purchase plan, a 401K program with a generous company match, and a competitive compensation package.