NOTICE OF JOB OPENING
Nampa Recreation Center
December 11, 2012
Please post or otherwise make available the following information. The City of Nampa Recreation Center has an opening for a part-time Childcare Assistant.
The City of Nampa is committed to ensuring equal opportunities to all individuals. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resource Director at 468-5437. TDD Relay Service: US West 1-800-377-3529 or 7-1-1.
Salary : $8.53 per hour, no benefits.
Hours: Less than 19 hours per week. Must be able to work flexible and varied hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
The principal function of an employee in this class is to provide a stable, nurturing environment for children of patrons utilizing Recreation Center facilities. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with the assigned supervisor, other Recreation Center staff, clientele, and the general public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a general child care setting.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
1. Performs customer service functions; including greeting parents and children, describing extent to which child adjusts and behaves to parent/guardian, answering questions related to child care, and effectively approaching problems that may arise.
2. Provides infant care, including assisting infant children between the ages of one day old to two years of age with emotions as a result of separation from parents, promoting socialization, developing large motor skills, feeding by bottle or assistance, changing diapers, comforting infant when upset, and applying first aid when needed.
3. Provides child care, including assisting children between the ages of two and five years old with large and fine motor skills, encouraging communication skills, providing assistance with potty training, promoting sharing and interaction with other children, assisting with snacks, coloring, and playing, and applying first aid when needed.
4. Maintains accurate records of all children being supervised, including verifying every child is signed in/out, assuring each child has a registration card, filling out accident forms, and collecting all receipts for parents/guardians in need of delivering payment.
5. Maintains a clean, safe environment for the children, including keeping toys, supplies, and surface areas organized and sanitary in addition to cleaning up bodily fluids from children.
6. Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
Some knowledge of childhood development and the developmental stages of young children.
Some knowledge of intervention for children.
Some knowledge of age appropriate lessons and activities for children.
Ability to properly handle and place an infant child.
Ability to effectively deal with stress due to crying and screaming children.
Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language.
Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures, and instructions, use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions, and prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations.
Ability to operate or quickly learn to operate a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks and the ability and willingness to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
Integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
High School Diploma or GED.
Some child care, babysitting, or parenting experience or any combination of experience and training which provides the equivalent scope of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Minimum 16 years of age. Pediatric CPR Certification and First Aid Certification.
Sufficient finger or manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to provide appropriate demonstrations and interaction with children.
Sufficient clarity of speech or other communication ability with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to communicate effectively and convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly or quickly.
Sufficient clarity of hearing with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Sufficient visual acuity or other power of observation with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to enable the employee to carefully observe the actions and behaviors of children; determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned; to make general observations of facilities and structures; to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form and perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH AND PERSONAL MOBILITY:
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to efficiently care for children of varying ages, including lifting persons or objects as required. Medium work - exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to up to 20 lbs. of force frequently.
Special Conditions : The City of Nampa has a Drug/Alcohol Free Workplace Policy. Any offer of employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test, background check and driving check.
Dates to Submit Application : Application and position information may be found online at: www.cityofnampa.us . Applicant must submit an online application; resumes will not be taken in lieu of the application. Position will close on December 26, 2012 at 5:00 P.M.
Position may be filled prior to closing date.
The City of Nampa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
City of Nampa - 15 months ago