Type of Need
Is this position for internal applicants only?
Internal and External Applicants
Job Description (Do of the Job)
Hughes Network Systems is looking for a n Information Systems Engineer/ Systems Administrator to support our Business Systems support team (SBSS). This position will be located at our headquarters in Germantown, MD.
- The individual will be responsible for supporting the production and test environment s specific to system setup, operating system install, configuration and troubleshooting and verification. Install, configure and verify application s which may involve day to day system administration and applications support.
The qualified candidate must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or otherwise must be able to obtain clearance for State and Commerce export licenses with terms and conditions appropriate for this job.
- The individual will be primarily responsible for installation, configuration, deployment, testing and verification of deployed software and support aspects with other members of the SBSS team.
- The individual will be r esponsible for upgrading and patching operating systems, COTS a nd deploying future application software and COTS releases a nd upgrades per the deployment schedule
** This position requires on-call pager support with off-hour and weekend deployments at times.
Qualification/Skills (Know of the Job)
- Bachelors degree (such as CS, EE and IS) in technical field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with UNIX and/or Windows operating systems
- Good verbal and written communication skills , effective problem solving, documentation, configuration and interpersonal/team skills
- Knowledge of networking technologies - LAN, WAN, TCP/IP, IPV4, IPV6, switching, routing
- Knowledge of various programming languages, unix shell scripting and ability to review source code
- Understanding of Linux (Redhat/SuSE) and Microsoft Windows with respect to systems/server design, management, configuration and performance including knowledge of server security, authentication and server hardening. Knowledge of Microsoft active directory, RSA, LDAP technologies a plus
- Knowledge of UNIX shell, Perl or similar scripting languages and knowledge of writing programs to automate manual tasks a plus
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMWar e, virtual load balancers, web server SSL configuration. Understanding of disaster recovery and high availability technologies, SAN & NAS storage technologies a plus
- System administration and configuration skills for COTS products for example: Cold Fusion , Oracle , Weblogic , Websphere , Apache , IIS, Tomcat , JBoss
- Familiarity with backup, archival and restore technologies - Veritas Netbackup preferred
- Experience in mission critical environments and experience in supporting a 24x7 production network operations center required
15% or less
Hughes Network Systems - 17 months ago
Hughes Network Systems wrote the book on satellite data and Internet access network services. The pioneering company is a leading provider...