Linux Systems Administrator
This role is focused on being an independent contributor on the Systems Administration team which provides systems support and administration for servers, workstations, storage devices, databases, and other applications used by our Chicago and European business units. The applications are predominantly front office trading, electronic trading systems, but also includes support for development environments as well as back office systems.
- Oversee configurations, installations, monitoring and support of Linux systems.
- Diagnose critical system problems and issues.
- Participate in an on-call rotation with the other team members .
- Patch and upgrade operating systems.
- Strive to automate and improve processes and procedures.
- Perform system and network troubleshooting and resource optimization.
- Communicate with other members of the team to ensure consistency of information
- Communicate and work with external parties such as vendors, as appropriate.
- Effectively prioritize workload and react to immediate systems issues with good judgment and credible decision-making.
- Effectively document procedures and troubleshooting guides for other members of the team as well as compliance.
- Keep abreast of latest technologies that may help the Firm; communicate those technologies to team members.
Qualifications-Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 3 years of related or similar work experience in a relevant systems administration role
- Solid troubleshooting skills
- Excellent understanding of the Linux operating system
- Good understanding databases, email and NAS
- Experience with scripting languages (Perl, UNIX Shell, Python, etc)
- Knowledge of version and revision control practices and procedures
- Knowledge of package managers.
- Experience with Linux desktop environments a plus.
- Excellent communication skills
- Results oriented, highly flexible, team player
- Ability to understand the big picture as well as be in command of the details required (and execute these details) to provide solutions
- Ability to exercise judgment in what and how to communicate with other parties and to ensure customer satisfaction
- Familiarity with financial markets is desirable
Sun Trading is a privately held, proprietary firm dedicated to algorithmic trading of various asset classes in the world’s financial markets. We trade on our innovative, cutting-edge electronic platform using proprietary models. From our headquarters in Chicago, and our affiliate in London, we execute multiple strategies across the global markets. As market makers on various exchanges and trading venues, we provide the marketplace with liquidity to enable both long-term and shorter-term investors to execute their trades. We are rewarded for adding liquidity, keeping the market efficient and facilitating price discovery. We do not operate a securities business for any retail or institutional investors.
We combine driven, talented people from various disciplines, state-of-the-art technology, and sophisticated trading strategies to create a successful team environment. Our team members are constantly researching and applying the most advanced technologies and mathematical applications to use in the financial markets. The employees of Sun Trading represent our distinctive competitive advantage. We seek to employ professionals from various backgrounds/disciplines who thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced, and performance-driven environment. Our diverse professional experiences help us succeed by giving us the ability to identify new opportunities in the marketplace. Our focus on speed and sound decision making enables us to act quickly to take advantage of opportunities when identified.
Sun is recognized by the marketplace as a leading firm that competes head-on with the world’s largest trading organizations for transactions.
Sun Trading - 16 months ago