In January 2012, Chartis and SunAmerica Financial Group formed a significant new player in the benefits market by combining American General Life Companies’ Benefit Solutions division with the Medical Excess and @Work groups from Chartis Corporate Benefits division. The combined entity targets the employee and affinity group markets, and serves as a one-stop solution for today’s changing benefits marketplace for groups of all sizes. The product suite includes life/AD&D, BTA/accident, universal and term life, dental, vision, limited healthcare, medical reimbursement, stop-loss, organ transplant, group hospital, group and personal disability, critical illness, accident and cancer insurance. This broad and diverse portfolio provides limitless opportunities to create flexible benefit offerings suitable for all sizes and budgets, and the combined underwriting, distribution and sales strengths of American General and Chartis will provide further strength and differentiation in the marketplace.
In order to optimize those strengths, the organization needs processes, communication and internal services that meet and/or exceed the expectations of today’s market and those of markets we endeavor to serve. By bringing the best thinking and experience on work process management together with the best talent in the industry in the changing benefits market, we can create a company poised to handle significant growth and profitability. One of the needs identified through this merger is the need for a new Admin platform. This position is a result of that need.
Reporting to the Director of Business Systems Support, the Business Analyst Manager will facilitate the development and implementation of business solutions for AIG Benefit Solutions Benefit Admin Services in the most effective and efficient manner. This position will be responsible for providing leadership and performing project management duties to develop and transform business goals and objectives into executable project plans. The successful candidate will also be involved with Programming/IT staff and business areas in coordination from the initial phase to final implementation of a project.
Immediate Performance Objectives:
- Implement project planning to assess, align and leverage internal resources and capabilities for service projects associated with the business, distribution channel and service model objectives.
- Deliver customer, competitor, industry, vendor and service analysis to assess trends and opportunity for improvements. Need to gain competitive/industry information and solution options for deriving best practice business and servicing solutions.
- Provide outsourcing and insourcing analysis to provide business leaders and management with cost effective options and to help achieve cost leadership and servicing objectives.
- Business Continuity Planning – Implement planning and preparations necessary to: identify the impact and severity of a potential loss, formulate and implement viable business recovery plans that ensures continuity of services and standards, and to administer a comprehensive training, testing and maintenance program.
- Execute business strategy and plans to enhance current servicing capabilities and to generate superior ROI.
- Execute rigorous business analysis and project management methodology to deliver the most viable business solutions and options to the associated business units, which are: strategically aligned, customer and market driven, supported by a sound business case, and are cost effective and value-added.
- Establish a Cost/Benefit analysis to derive estimates for return on investment in support of system enhancements. Will be responsible for the business analysis in order to deliver the most viable business solutions and options which are supported by a sound business case.
- Lead, plan, coordinate and manage complex projects and systems changes into production.
- Facilitate communication between business and technical staff to ensure effective and efficient implementation and communication of results. Utilize negotiation skills.
- Manage upper management’s expectations throughout implementation of projects, including assessing and communicating business and technical risks.
- Plan resource assignments and provide guidance to project team members.
- Enhance the project management process to achieve business objectives.
- Must be able to define and coordinate user and business requirements, analyze solutions, develop business case justifications and submit recommendations for annuity service improvements.
- Collaborate with users, information technology resources, sponsors and business users to ensure delivery of required outcomes and capabilities.
- Evaluate all options available and identify the pros and cons for each option as they relate to system processing, business processing, time and cost and recommend the best possible solutions and estimates. Understand impacts to the enterprise wide environment.
- Identify and implement best practice business solutions and technologies to support management objectives.
- Develop and provide guidance to others for the development of business specifications for system changes required for business solutions.
- Evaluate the risks and business impact associated with different changes and implement a project methodology and plan that is appropriate for the risk involved.
- Monitor and report on project progress, prioritization, open issues, risks and problem resolution.
- Manage and conduct functionality, user acceptance testing for service applications and databases and analyze results against business requirements.
- College degree plus 5 years combined Insurance Administration services and business testing related experience; or high school plus 7 years combined Insurance and business testing related experience.
- Strong analytical, design and problem solving skills – ability to understand impacts of moderately to complex business system changes recommend appropriate business or systems solutions, formulate delivery plans and acceptance criteria to minimize risks.
- Understands software development methodologies, including security and access controls.
- Demonstrates strong project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate information of a complex nature to top-level management (written and verbal) in easy to understand business language.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and adjust work priorities to meet target deadlines.
- Possess strong negotiation skills.
- Understanding of Insurance Administration systems, processes, products and the impact to the project and business objectives.
- Exercise independent judgement in testing moderate to high complex system changes and have strong decision-making skills.
- Must be able to understand the impact, seek to minimize risks, and develop appropriate alternatives to resolve.
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively accomplish business objectives through a diverse group of specialized people including direct reports, peers, business analyst, project managers, subject matter experts, vendors, programmers, and end-users.
- Interfaces with service operation areas on process and system enhancement initiatives.
- Ability to identify a problem, analyze the source of the problem, and make viable solution recommendations.
- Project Management or comparable certification achieved or in progress.
- Program management, group motivation and discipline, imagination and diplomacy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – easily build relationships, team building and networking across departments and with all levels in the organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work in a complex matrix environment.
American International Group - 22 months ago
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a holding company which, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in a range of insurance and...