Who We Are:
Ball Corporation is a supplier of high-quality metal packaging for beverage, food and household products customers, and of aerospace and other technologies and services, primarily for the U.S. government. Our more than 13,000 knowledgeable, motivated and customer-focused employees share Ball's high regard for mutual respect, integrity and ethical conduct.
Founded in 1880, Ball Corporation was originally known for the glass canning jars your grandmothers used to use. Today, Ball makes packaging that enables delivery of safe, nutritious food and beverages and convenient household products to consumers around the world. Ball Aerospace is known for its contributions in support of space and Earth science, exploration, national security and intelligence programs.
Ball Corporation is headquartered at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in Broomfield, CO. Around the world, we have operations in North and South America, Europe and Asia.
The Baltimore plant was acquired by Ball Corporation in 2006 with the purchase of the United States and Argentinean operations of U.S. Can Corporation. The plant's 22 production lines make a variety of three-piece welded cans, three-piece decorative lockseam tins, drawn seamless tins and three-piece custom tins for the food, paint, cosmetic, bakery and industrial areas.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant’s production goals and overall business plans and objectives as directed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
· Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
· Installs, maintains, and troubleshoots machinery and tooling. Ensures that parts and tooling are in accordance with instructions, prints, and work orders. May be required to make drawings or sketches of parts to be made or repaired.
· Proficient in the use of all shop equipment to install, maintain, and troubleshoot machinery and tooling.
· Interprets drawings, calculates, and determines indices, tapers, and other dimensions to be used for part(s), working raw materials into finished dimensions with exact tolerances per print.
· Performs layout work as required.
· Receives tools and paperwork; establishes and maintains logbooks.
· Selects, grinds, and adjusts tools ensuring correct speeds and feed rates of tooling for efficient machining.
· Ensures that parts and tooling are in accordance to precision requirements for both tolerance and finish.
· Sets up and operates machine tools, lathes, and grinders.
· Performs dismantling, fitting or assembly work required for maintenance of production equipment.
· Repairs and maintains all assigned machines and equipment including preventative maintenance.
· Performs organizational duties including maintaining an organized and clean work area.
· Communicates pertinent information to next shift.
· Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
· Performs welding and heat treating as needed.
· May monitor supply conditions and informs management as necessary.
· May provide support for plant facilities maintenance.
· Required to work assigned schedule or 10-hour shifts, Monday through Thursday, working hours/days may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
· Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
· Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
· Broad training in a related field usually acquired through technical school education or equivalent education.
· Job related experience for 3-5 years minimum. 5+ years experience is strongly preferred.
· Working knowledge of the following areas: standard machine shop practices, metallurgy, heat treatment, welding, and brazing; all assigned equipment.
· Required on-the-job and classroom training.
· Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria.
· Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
· Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
· Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
· Maintains an awareness of and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
· Thorough understanding of the operating principles of all assigned equipment.
· Ability to demonstrate proficiency in the operation of grinders, lathes, drill presses, precision measuring tools, blueprint reading and other machine shop equipment, and working to tolerances of + .000050.
· Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
· Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
· Must have sufficient endurance to perform tasks over long periods of time.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.