Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third largest school district in the United States. Chicago Public Schools has set ambitious goals to ensure that every child-in every school and every neighborhood-has access to a world-class learning experience from birth, resulting in graduation from high school college-and career ready. Please visit our website at www.cps.edu to learn more about the organization.
Purpose or Summary Statement of Primary Duties and Responsibilities of Position
The senior security engineer provides an interface between the security policymakers and incorporates those policies into the network and security design. Such a role needs to balance the demands of the policy setters against the implementation barriers (available technology, integration and cost barriers) facing the IT department and derive a solution that is cost-effective, yet meets business requirements.
Dimensions for the Job:
- Determines security requirements by evaluating business strategies and requirements; researching information security standards; conducting system security and vulnerability analyses and risk assessments; studying architecture/platform; identifying integration issues; preparing cost estimates.
- Plans security systems by evaluating network and security technologies; developing requirements for local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), virtual private networks (VPNs), routers, firewalls, web filtering, and related security and network devices; designs public key infrastructures (PKIs), including use of certification authorities (CAs) and digital signatures as well as hardware and software; adhering to industry standards.
- Implements security systems by specifying intrusion detection methodologies and equipment; directing equipment and software installation and calibration; preparing preventive and reactive measures; creating, transmitting, and maintaining keys; providing technical support; completing documentation.
- Verifies security systems by developing and implementing test scripts.
- Maintains security by monitoring and ensuring compliance to standards, policies, and procedures; conducting incident response analyses.
- Upgrades security systems by monitoring security environment; identifying security gaps; evaluating and implementing enhancements.
- Prepares system security reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging security practices and standards; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Support the Information & Technology Services in implementing and achieving the departments’ goals and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Network Security Infrastructure- 20+ Remote Access users - 40,000+ End-user Workstations- 150,000+ Network Systems - 23,000+ Remote Offices - 640+
Qualifications for Job:
Skills: 5+ years experience in a technical solutions role Broad knowledge of IT infrastructure architecture and network protocols Proven experience of delivering IT solutions within a set budget and within a set timeframe Ability to work at all levels of the organization Excellent communication skills, written, oral and presentational Innovative in approach to problem resolution Previous experience in the role, preferably in a 10,000+ employee organization Pro-active problem solver, adept at getting to the root cause of problems and executing a workable solution Needs to be self-motivated and dependable. Experience in writing security policies. Awareness of project methodologies (e.g. PMP) Proficiency in PC skills: Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access
Competencies: Communication Team Orientation Relationship building Training Facilitation Decision Making /Judgement Strategic Problem Solving
Type of Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree
Certifications: Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Cisco Certified Network Professional Security (CCNP Security), and/or Checkpoint Certified Security Expert (CCSE)
Type of Experience and Number of Years:
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS (04-0825-P02)
- Information Systems - 2-5 years Systems Analysis and Design - 1-2 years Information Security - 2-5 years
All employees of the Chicago Public Schools must adhere to the Residency Policy for All Employees of the Board of Education, adopted by Board Action on August 25, 2004, Board Report Number 04-0825-P02. All officers and employees hired on or after the effective date of the residency policy November 20, 1996 will be required to be actual residents of the City of Chicago within six months from the day their employment begins.
Monster - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard
The Chicago Public Schools is the nation's third-largest school district and the second-largest employer in Illinois, with more than 45,000...