This employment opportunity is with the Oregon Department of Corrections, General Services Division , located in Salem, Oregon. This recruitment will be used to establish a list of qualified applicants to fill the current vacancy.
This position is represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) union.
Duties & Responsibilities
The purpose of this position is to provide mail services for staff in the Dome Building and other Central Office satellite locations. It also provides reception services for staff and visitors to the Dome Building.
For the full list of specific duties and working conditions, see the Position Description .
The work experience section of your NEOGOV online application must clearly show that you have:
The person in this position must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and have an acceptable driving record. This position is required to drive a State vehicle on a daily basis.
- completion of courses or training in Office Technology; OR
- one year of general clerical experience which included typing, word processing, or other generation of documents; OR
- an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The work experience section of the NEOGOV application must clearly show that you meet the minimum qualifications of the position or your application may be rejected. Transcripts must be submitted to receive credit for education coursework and to assist in verifying qualifications, at the time of application.
A resume will not substitute for completing the work experience section of your application.
The ideal candidate for this position will have demonstrated experience in the attributes below.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following:
- Outstanding customer services skills;
- skilled in operating a computer to enter, update, correct, and retrieve information;
- skilled in using a multi-line phone;
- the ability to learn and work within specific agency operations, policies, and procedures affecting the assigned work;
- skilled in communicating in person, over the phone, and by e-mail with a variety of customers which include members of the public, former inmates, inmate friends and families, Department staff, and staff from other government agencies;
- ability to work in a busy environment and multi-task with frequent interruptions; and
- ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
- Experience in receiving and screening calls, responding to inquiries and complaints, and making referrals to appropriate staff as needed;
- mailroom and reception experience;
- experience operating a postage meter;
- experience processing USPS, UPS and pre-sort mail;
- experience using iMCM G2 mailroom and shipping software; and
- experience using OIS or other offender information software.
To apply , click on the "Apply" link above.
Only complete applications will be considered. Be sure to answer all supplemental questions and attach all required documents. Qualified applicants whose responses most closely match the requirements for this position will be invited to interview.
Transcripts must be submitted to receive credit for education coursework at the time of application.
You must have a valid e-mail address to apply for jobs with the Oregon Department of Corrections. All communication regarding your application and status will be done by e-mail.
The pay and benefits on all announcements may change without notice. During the current biennium ending June 30, 2013, DOC employees are required to take mandatory unpaid time off (furlough) days. A furlough is a temporary excused unpaid absence from work. At the time of hire, your manager will meet with you to determine the number of hours or furlough days you will be required to take.
Note: The Department of Corrections does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Justice Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States.
This position may be eligible for Police & Fire (P&F) benefits through Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), as defined by statute.
Application Reference Number: DOC13-0330OC
If you have application login problems, get an error message during the application process, or are experiencing other technical (computer related) difficulties, please call the NEOGOV help line for assistance at 1-877-204-4442.
Applicants will be subject to a Computerized Criminal History and Motor Vehicles check as well as background investigation. Adverse background information may be grounds for disqualification.
Veterans Preference Information
Employee Benefits with the Department of Corrections
Learn more about the Oregon Accountability Model
Visit www.odocjobs.com Recruitment Web Page
Oregon Prisons Map with links to each Facility
Questions may be emailed to
Oregon Department of Corrections
ATTN: Janelle Brown
- State Directories
- Agencies A to Z
- Oregon Administrative Rules
- Oregon Revised Statutes
- About Oregon.gov
Web Site Links
State of Oregon - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard