The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is a bi-state public agency responsible for promoting transportation and commerce, operating some of the busiest and most important transportation links in the region including bridges, tunnels, bus terminals, airports, PATH, AirTrain systems, and the NY/NJ seaport.
In a lead capacity, selected candidates will perform a variety of journey-level duties in the installation, operation, maintenance, repair and alteration of utility systems and related auxiliary equipment. Such equipment includes, but is not limited to, air conditioning and ventilation systems, pneumatic and electrical controls, high- and low-pressure boilers, high temperature hot water generators, large capacity chiller units, and fire protection systems. The incumbents will also troubleshoot and diagnose problems on a variety of plant/facility systems and are responsible for the security and satisfactory operation of a plant/facility on all off tours. Shift work may be required. Stationary Engineers/Watch Engineers work at our various Port Authority facilities throughout the NY/NJ area.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS :
Candidates MUST present ALL of the following qualifications in order to be considered:
- High School Diploma or GED from an accredited institution.
- High-Pressure Steam Boiler Operators License issued by New York City OR New Jersey
Blue Seal Steam Boiler Operators License issued by the State of New Jersey
- New York City Refrigeration Machine Operator's License OR Blue Seal Refrigeration Machine
Operator's License (Class II) issued by the State of New Jersey
- A BlackSeal Low Pressure Operators License from NJ Department of Labor,
Office of Pressure Vessel compliance or a New York City Fire Department
Certificate of Fitness for Standpipe/Sprinkler
- Three to five years of work experience as a Watch Engineer/Stationary Engineer.
- Refrigerant Technician's Certificate (RTC)
- Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with the Air Brakes endorsement or higher Applicants without a Class B CDL must obtain a Class B CDL Permit with endorsement before their first day of work, and will be required to obtain a Class B CDL with endorsement within three months of employment
Applicants should refer to the following websites for further information on obtaining a CDL and medical clearance for CDL Licensing:
- Certificate in Pesticide Application in NY or NJ (selected applicants without a Pesticide application certificate in New York or New Jersey must obtain this certificate within six months of employment).
Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a written test that will measure the candidate's knowledge in areas such as:
*High-Pressure and Low-Pressure Heating
*A/C and Refrigeration Systems
*Auxiliary Equipment; Pumps and Controls
*Fire Protection, Fire Safety and Sprinkler Systems
*HVAC Electrical Systems, maintaining and servicing maintenance components
Successful written-test candidates will be invited to participate in a hands-on practical exam. The Stationary Engineer/Watch Engineer practical exam will measure the candidate's knowledge, skills, and ability in areas such as: working at heights; troubleshooting a rooftop furnace unit; installation of heating zones; creating a steel pipe & copper pipe loop; and central heating and refrigeration plant operation (e.g., four 50 million BTU hot water generators and four 2000 ton chiller units).
Selected candidates will be subject to a comprehensive background check and will be asked to provide copies of the required licenses for verification.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package (subject to collective bargaining agreement) and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
Salary: $ 34.53 hourly subject to collective bargaining agreement)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of NY & NJ/Port Authority Trans-Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ConstructionJobs.com - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard