Performs counseling duties within the Chemical Dependency Unit, reporting to and working under the supervision of the Clinical Director by performing any or all of the following duties:
Essential Job Duties
1. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served; also demonstrates knowledge of principles of growth and development and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department’s policies and procedures.
2. Acts as primary therapist through which all other information obtained by multi-disciplinary team may be channeled and used for the benefit of the patient. Uses proper counseling techniques to help patients accept his/her disease and associative problems. Assists the patients in the acceptance of self. Assists patients toward achievement of therapeutic treatment goals and resolution of immediate problems.
3. Synthesizes the physical, psychological, social and spiritual aspects of each patient assessed by the multi- disciplinary and accepting the values of Alcoholics Anonymous and recommends discharge planning for patients. Works within the parameters of the philosophy and modality of the Chemical Dependency Department. Orients patients to their environment and appropriate participation in the program.
4. Evaluates patient progress and appropriately documents progress or lack thereof. Makes recommendations for change in treatment procedures or continuation of treatment.
5. Acts as leader of daily group therapy sessions.
6. Regularly lectures to the patients on assigned subjects.
7. Attends weekly staffing in order to assess progress or lack thereof and plans strategy with other multi-disciplinary staff.
8. Understands and utilizes department and corporation-wide policies and procedures relating to safety and infection control and maintains a current and accurate knowledge through ongoing inservice education.
9. Strives to ensure that every guest is afforded respect and courtesy and that the needs of each guest are foremost in the daily activities of the Medical Corp.
Other Job Duties:
10. Represents department and Medical Center to the community an may be called upon to address community groups or meetings.
11. Schedules and holds conferences with appropriate significant others when indicated.
12. Contributes to a positive work climate and overall team effort to achieve hospital/department goals.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Degree in counseling or behavioral sciences preferred, but not necessary. Documented training in an approved and accredited chemical dependency and recovery process. through understanding of Alcoholics Anonymous necessary.
Minimum of 3 months to 1 year experience in some aspect of chemical dependency treatment. Can be expected to gain detailed knowledge of procedural aspects of program in three to six months.
Rehabilitative Services / Social Services
River Region Health System
Forecasted paid hours per shift
Forecasted hours per pay week
River Region Health System - 18 months ago