The Hospitalist Physician Coder of the Hospitalist Medicine group is responsible for ensuring daily completion of billing functions in the front office. Working in collaboration with the billing office the coder is responsible for reviewing and problem solving denials and charge entry issues. The role assists the providers in maintaining consistent, ethical and compliant coding practices. Provides coded and abstracted data requests for both internal and external reviews.
Educational Requirements, Qualifications:
- Verifies patient demographics and insurance information.
- Ensures that patient log records are kept current on a daily basis.
- Researches and tracks down missing charges
- Adheres to and provides recommendations in maintaining best practice in billing procedures.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines following hospital procedures to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Assists patients and billing company in resolution of billing inquiries and patient complaints related to the billing process.
- Works in collaboration with credentialing specialists to ensure providers maintain payor credentialing.
- Provides assistance to providers on documentation of diagnoses and services provided to support reimbursement, utilization management and performance-based compensation.
- Assists in auditing encounter documentation to include but not limited to diagnoses, procedures and level of service.
- Make recommendations on coding improvement to healthcare providers.
- Maintains specialty-specific educational materials to assist and support accurate documentation and coding practices.
- Provides ICD-9, CPT and HCPCS code verification to support the physician practices.
- Maintains and accurately utilizes reference materials in an organized and complete manner to execute responsibilities.
- Assists Medical records department in assuring physician remain compliant with documentation requirements
- Remains knowledgeable and current on coding and reimbursement guidelines and updates to ensure documentation and coding meets regulatory and compliance guidelines.
- Assists in the development of compliant billing processes.
- Maintains annual updates on CPT, ICD- 9 and HCPCs changes.
- Attends annual update\educational training in physician billing and coding.
- Actively pursues and completed coding certification within one year of employment.
Associates degree in business and\or health related field or equivalent experience of at least five years preferred. One year of current coding experience preferred. Must have working knowledge and understanding of outpatient and inpatient ICD-9-CM diagnoses and procedure coding, CPT & HCPCS coding. Have working knowledge on coding for third party payers, including CMS guidelines and compliance for reimbursement. Must possess excellent communication and organizational skills. Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills required. Must have knowledge of Billing programs and Microsoft applications including but not limited to: Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook. Certification in Professional Coding (CPC), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), or Certified Coding Specialist ¿ Physician (CCS-P) preferred. Participation in related professional organization.
- 1 - 2 years of experience in hospital coding is required.
- Certification: CCS, RHIA, or RHIT preferred.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
You'll love our benefits!
As a Caring Culture, Virtua provides a rewarding workplace that allows every member of our team to experience personal and professional growth, while achieving an important work/life balance. Our benefits program is dedicated to your personal health and wellbeing and offers everything from a generous 401(k)* program and medical and dental coverage options to tuition reimbursement and employee wellness programs. It's all part of why you'll find a true sense of belonging here among our diverse, talented staff members - and why you'll achieve more throughout your career.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Virtua Health is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, national origin or any other category protected by federal or state law.
Virtua Health is a multi-hospital healthcare system headquartered in Marlton, NJ. Its mission is to deliver a world class patient experience...