MaxLinear is seeking a talented and motivated individual looking to pursue a career with us as a Senior Linux System Administrator. This role will primarily support Engineering Linux desktops, Compute and VDI server needs over several locations around the globe. We are looking for someone who can think on their feet and make sound decisions in a high volume, fast-paced environment. We will stretch your knowledge and skills as we expand and grow!
The System Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance of Linux systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. While this is primarily a Linux Administration position, candidates are also expected to be familiar with Windows, Networking (Cisco), Virtualization (VMWare) and Storage (EMC & NetApp).
Knowledge / Skills
- Maintain and manage all aspects of Linux server maintenance from operating system installation to patch updates on a timely basis.
- Manage a grid (SUN Grid Engine) of compute servers in support of Engineering Design Simulations.
- Manage a pool of VDI (VNC, NX, EOD) servers that provide Linux desktops for Engineering design work.
- Manage Engineering file systems with quotas, monitoring tools and archival/cleanup practices.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with a diverse set of users' needs.
- Research and recommend innovative ways to automate system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Bachelor degree preferred (or 4+ years of relevant experience), with a technical major, such engineering or computer science.
- Experience with TCP/IP Networking including troubleshooting (tcpdump, etc.)
- Experience with Switches and Routers (Cisco)
- File System management (LVM, Quota’s, etc.) including NFS, CIFS maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Hands on experience with Linux shell scripting
- 4+ years of Linux system administration experience required with the ability to troubleshoot and resolve Linux software and hardware issues quickly and efficiently.
MaxLinear is a global, New York Stock Exchange-traded company (NYSE: MXL), where the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well. We strive to hire the best people in the world as we look toward numerous opportunities in our broadband markets.
- There will be times when you will be required to work extended hours and weekends to support the company’s needs, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- The ability to lift/move computer desktops and server equipment.
- Occasional US and International travel required.
We are a fabless system-on-chip product company, providing highly integrated radio-frequency (RF) analog and mixed-signal semiconductor solutions for broadband communications applications. Based near San Diego in Carlsbad, California, with design centers in Irvine, California, India and China, we have nearly 300 employees, most with engineering degrees including Master’s and Ph.D. graduates from many of the premiere universities around the world. Our engineers thrive on innovation, outside-the-box thinking, nimbleness and collaboration, and form a high energy business team that is pursuing great technology -- especially in the highly complex and challenging RF field.
The company was incorporated in September 2003 by a team of eight founders with over 70 years of cumulative IC design experience in Bluetooth, GSM, and Cable Tuner products. We developed the first digital CMOS television tuner in 2005 and started shipping the world’s smallest silicon TV tuner in early 2007. Since our founding, we have shipped over 200 million chips.
Our expertise includes communication system design, RF radio design, digital ASIC design, applications platforms, and semiconductor device modeling.
MaxLinear, Inc. - 13 months ago