Living Classrooms Foundation (LCF) is a Baltimore-Washington based non-profit educational organization with a distinctive competency in experiential learning—literally learning by direct experience, or what we call “learning by doing.”
Living Classrooms has an opportunity for a Health & Wellness Academic Site Coordinator . This employee will be responsible for the development and implementation of an after school and summer enrichment program for elementary/middle school students. As with all our programming we are looking to create high interest, fun and educational hands-on activities and project oriented classes in an informal after school atmosphere located at the within our newest facility the Patterson Park Youth Sports & Education Center.
- Plan an age-appropriate after-school and summer program that meets the needs of the enrolled youth and their families.
- Collaborates with program & community partners for the purpose of implementing and maintaining programs.
- Ensure that the academic elements of the program are fulfilled, encouraging and mentoring students towards graduation.
- Assist with the daily operation of the programs, including creating and posting schedules and daily written lesson plans.
- Produce monthly activity calendars and daily schedules, with supervisory staff, including student interest and needs in planning process.
- Manages standards of behavior for the purpose of ensuring the safety and well being of students.
- Assists students individually or in groups with homework assignments.
- Execute daily activities that balance structured with unstructured play.
- Engage in activities with youth.
- Report observations and incidents (i.e., discipline, accidents, inappropriate social behavior, etc…) to the appropriate personnel.
- Assisting with events related to after school programming, as necessary.
- Attending regular staff trainings, orientations, and professional development.
- Regular communication with parents on child’s homework completion, activities, and behavior; helping to disseminate program information to parents.
- Monitoring, training, and evaluating of volunteers within the Center
- Maintains classroom equipment, student information, and attendance records.
- May perform the following supervisory responsibilities for one or more individuals:
o Plans, assigns, monitors and manages the work of others.
o Reviews performance and evaluates results achieved by subordinates.
o Coaches and mentors subordinates.
o Reviews progress of assignments with supervisory staff.
o Balances conflicting resource and priority demands.
o Maintain currency in educational techniques pertaining to K-12 education.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Elementary or Secondary Education, Child Guidance/Counseling or a related field.
o At least 2-3 years of experience in an educational setting and/or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training.
o Curriculum development experience is preferred.
o Experience or skill in physical education, implementing health education workshops, sports, recreation, and/or athletics.
o Partner with other functional areas to accomplish objectives.
o Incite enthusiasm and influence, motivate and persuade others to achieve desired outcomes.
o Interpret and apply policies and identify and recommend changes as appropriate.
o Organize, manage and track multiple detailed tasks and assignments with frequently changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment.
o Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
o Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
o Handle stressful situations and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
o Work in various urban settings and with diverse populations
- Must be available to work after-school hours and evenings
- Bilingual (English / Spanish) a plus.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 10:00am until 6:00pm. Staff may occasionally be required to work weekends and/or additional hours for special events, programs, etc. Staff will receive advanced notice of these special circumstances. During the summer months, staff will work longer day-time hours.
Please Address and Send Cover Letter to Katharina Furrs, 1417 Thames Street, Baltimore MD, 21231 or