Title: Assistant Manager - Transportation Administration
Department: Transportation Services
Post Date: 01/17/2013
Close Date: 01/31/2013
Hay Point Evaluation: 534
2012 Salary Range: Minimum: $64,587/Midpoint: $80,727
Position Classification: Non Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Senior Manager - Transportation Administration
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a Policy Maker pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
This position is responsible for the coordination of accounts payable, procurement, contracts and maintenance of the CTAM's system including managerial payroll oversight. In addition, position is accountable to coordinate and manage activities with the uniform provider to ensure quality assurance of uniforms, customer service and their distribution to employees. The position is responsible to provide support and direction to the Transportation Department relative to Human Resources administration, employee development, employee suggestion program, and management education and employee recognition initiatives. This position facilitates and oversees the customer communications process, departmental communications and technological requirements, and manages the train crew cell phone initiative along with the departmental field radio initiative.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Manage Cell Phone Initiative:
- Manage departmental H/R functions and requirements (including development of job descriptions, processing of PARC documents). Ensure appropriate headcount is in place. Plan for future staff needs and development. Oversee performance appraisal review process.
- Manage departmental managerial payroll, attendance (CTAMS). Perform audits of same to ensure compliance with corporate protocols. Evaluate overtime requirements for represented clerical staff and determine necessity in an effort to reduce overtime expenditure, develop strategies to improve productivity and reduce cost.
- Oversight for the departmental Tuition Assistance Program and Management Education Core Curriculum (MECC) program. Responsible for the administration of the petty cash fund, perform petty cash audits to ensure compliance with corporate protocol.
- PERS and/or Department Board Reports: Develop and maintain Transportation Services PERS database of key operating and performance statistics.
- Manage departmental vehicle fleet. Prepare and analyze monthly AVLM usage reports to maintain adequate assignment of company vehicle relative to operational requirements, ensure compliance with corporate policy.
Communications and Technological Requirements:
- Implement and manage cell phone initiative for distribution of and continual oversight for 1,068 cell phones. Handle all equipment and usage problems regarding malfunctioning, lost, stolen or damaged equipment- tracking and replacement. Interface with Information Technology (IT) representatives and employees. Develop and provide continued oversight for cell phone billing, per contractual agreement, coordinating with represented employees (users), union officials, Treasury, IT and Verizon. Audit monthly phone bills, rectify any discrepancies found. Interact with the Public Information Office (PIO) to ensure provisions governing cell phone policy are adhered to.
Employee Development, Training and Recognition:
- Manage departmental requirements for all communication and technological needs. Resolve problems encountered from technological deficiencies, ensuring necessary devices provided to support operational needs.
- Responsible for providing and maintenance of communication devices for all managers and rectify any equipment problems or required changes.
- Manage departmental radio distribution program, ensuring all field operations and flag operations are properly equipped with radio communication.
- Work with IT to develop and implement a program to anticipate future technological needs to meet the objectives of the Transportation Department while maintaining a high-level of fiscal responsibility.
- Assist in the development of in-service Training program for departmental clerical staff.
- Manage the Employee Suggestion Program. Primary individual responsible for review and analysis, coordinating with various managers in the evaluation of suggestions. Interact with H/R to ensure corporate guidelines for program are met and recommended suggestions are implemented successfully.
- Assist in the development of all employee recognition/appreciation event and management related workshops.
- Responsible for management of all departmental contracts and procurements.
- Uniforms (contract value approximately $1,000,000). Technical expert, available to provide guidance and direction for questionable issues. Manage uniform procurement and distribution for approximately 1,000 employees ensuring high quality uniforms, as well as proper and timely distribution. Interface with internal and external customers ( employees, unions, Procurement Dept and vendors), maintaining a strong positive working relationship with all to ensure contract requirement and employee needs are met.
- Evaluate and analyze uniform levels on an annual basis to ensure sufficient inventory levels are available to meet current needs, while not carrying an unnecessary expense for storage of excessive inventory.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Management or Information Systems.
- Proficient in various software packages including PeopleSoft, MS Powerpoint, Outlook, and Word.
- Extensive knowledge/skills in MS Excel (pivot tables, utilizing advanced functions and charting tools) and Access (database design and query development).
- Must possess strong analytical skills.
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be capable of multitasking various assignments while adhering to tight deadlines.
- Must have extensive knowledge (approximately 5 years) of procurement, accounts payable, accounting, and payroll processes and procedures, preferable in a PeopleSoft environment.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Advanced degrees (MBA; MS-Information Systems; MPA).
- Familiarity with collective bargaining agreements.
- Familiarity with LIRR organizational (departmental) structure.
- Familiarity with MTA sister agencies.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am to 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.
MTA, one of the largest public transportation agencies in the United States, provides more than 75% of all public transit services in Los...