FULCRUM IT JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Sr System Administrator (NAEP)
FLSA Status: Full-time, Salary, Exempt
Clearance: Ability to Obtain and Maintain a Public Trust
Location: Centreville, VA
Manager: Program Manager
Summary: The senior system administrator will manage a 24x7 hosting environment maintained for a program at the Department of Education. Off-hours maintenance work when required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Will have oversight over a network comprising several physical servers, two dozen production virtual servers plus developer VMs, 20-30 production apps with associated development environments, a Storage Area Network, a cluster architecture, a Juniper router, and a virtual tape library.
2. Responsibilities will include network configuration, operations, and documentation
3. Troubleshooting and repair
4. Responding to service requests
5. Monitoring, reporting, and responding to incidents.
6. Other duties may be assigned, as necessary.
• Provide primary support in incident, crisis and change management.
• Provide support to the 24x7 help desk in resolving tier 1-3 issues.
• Develop and maintain system and network engineering plans, schematics and diagrams that include location of equipment, installation plan of equipment and cable, transmission path profiles, power requirements, air-conditioning/environmental controls, cabling paths and distances, power distribution systems, equipment size and weight, concept of operations, user baseline and interface requirements and any special considerations.
• Perform scheduled and ad hoc backups with Symantec Backup Exec, including VMs, SQL Server databases, and SharePoint servers, with a VTL and tape drive, and implementing retention plans.
• Be available for monthly off-hours planned service windows, as well as other off-hours maintenance work when required.
• Keep equipment up to date with patches, service packs, firmware upgrades, etc.
• Conduct routine testing and diagnostics.
• Make recommendations for purchase of new hardware and software.
• Present ideas for system improvements and cost-cutting measures.
• Create purchase requests.
• Maintain up-to-date asset inventory and tracking.
• Assist with C&A processes as needed.
Monitoring and reporting:
• Run and report on monthly Nessus vulnerability scan on all servers.
• Recommend and implement software for monitoring Windows logs on all servers.
• Configure and monitor WhatsUp Gold service interruption detection and respond to outages.
• Configure and monitor Microsoft Threat Management Gateway.
• Monitor systems for adequate disk space.
• Monitor SQL Server transaction logs for excessive growth.
• Respond immediately to urgent events from monitors, notify management, plan and execute remedies.
• Produce monthly reports on vulnerability scan findings, Windows log findings, and intrusion alerts, identifying:
• Issues known to be covered by pending routine patches and service packs.
• Issues to be investigated and repaired.
• Conditions that are not of concern.
• Investigate issues identified in monthly reports and plan and execute remedies for them.
Documentation, management, compliance:
• Plan and maintain configuration documentation:
• Servers (physical and virtual)
• Applications (including host servers, host names, URLs, IP addresses, SSL certificates)
• Backup plans
• Physical and logical network configuration diagrams
• Work with technical writers to produce disaster recovery documentation.
• Recommend and document risk management procedures.
• Plan and execute disaster recovery tests.
• Document all configuration changes in configuration blog.
• Keep all formal documents updated with changes recorded in the configuration blog.
• Assist with contingency planning, contingency plan testing, and incident response exercises.
• Assure site is compliant with Federal standards.
• Assist with quarterly internal configuration audits and documentation reviews and updates.
• Assist with audits requested by client, including Certification and Accreditation (C&A) audits.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience.
• Experience: Ten years’ experience in network administration, including at least five with Windows networks.
• Computers: See Knowledge , Skills, and Abilities below
• Certificates: Desired: MSCE, MCA, MCM, MCITP
• Clearance: Ability to Obtain and Maintain a Public Trust
• US Passport: Not required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Network hardware (currently Dell servers, Juniper router)
• Network architecture
• Windows networking
• Windows Server 2008 R2
• Routers and firewalls (currently Juniper)
• IPv6 architecture and configuration
• Virtual machine-based architecture (Hyper-V)
• Server clusters
• Load balancing
• RAID technology
• Storage Area Network management and configuration
• Backup technology, including virtual tape libraries
• Symantec Backup Exec 2010 and 2012
• Symantec Endpoint Protection
• Microsoft Threat Management Gateway
• Nessus vulnerability scanner
• Microsoft Internet Information Services
• Hosting Microsoft SQL Server (including data mirroring and backup and recovery considerations)
• Hosting Microsoft SharePoint (including backup and recovery considerations)
• Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Network diagramming in Visio
• Skill and comfort with written and oral communication.
• Ability to respond to requests from multiple sources and balance responsibilities.
Desired or Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• MSCE, MCA, MCM, MCITP certification
• Experience with SharePoint
• Previous experience with cloud architecture
• Familiarity with the Federal Certification and Accreditation (C&A) process.
• Experience with FISMA, low and moderate.
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
If visits to areas of operations overseas are required with this position, you may be exposed to extreme cold or hot weather conditions. Is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and loud noise.
Fulcrum IT Services is an information technology (IT) company based in Centreville, Virginia, that provides IT solutions and services for federal, state, local, and commercial customers. Fulcrum IT specializes in the areas of Enterprise Services, Applications Development, Data Management, Cyber Security, and Intelligence Analysis.
Fulcrum IT is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/D/V
Fulcrum - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
Fulcrum IT provides thorough analysis and comprehensive reports on help desks and call centers. We can help you develop a service...