CoFED , the Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive, trains students to start and run cooperative, community-oriented, sustainable food projects. CoFED was launched nationally in the Fall of 2010 with support from Michael Pollan, Bill McKibben, and many others. Since then we have worked with over 40 student teams starting or operating cooperative, sustainable food ventures on their campus. We've been selected as one of the world's top 5 ideas in sustainable food on Forbes , received media attention from Civil Eats , Good Magazine, Grist and The Atlantic , and been called "competition" by the leading fast-food industry magazine. Sound good? Come work with CoFED!
The Executive Director is responsible for providing leadership and guiding the strategic direction of the organization by setting clear priorities, investing wisely in people and systems, thinking creatively about partnerships and pursuing new development opportunities, and forging a coherent and cooperative framework that supports CoFED's long-term health and growth.
The Executive Director will enact CoFED's mission and values in pursuing the organization's highest priorities, including supporting relationships with project partners and, with the support of a full-time development staff member, securing opportunities for funding. In conjunction with the Finance Committee, the Executive Director is responsible for financial stewardship of the organization.
The Executive Director will provide tools, resources and support for staff in their daily work. This includes supporting day-to-day operations of the organization, overseeing effective project management procedures, implementing operational policies, and facilitating staff communication. The Executive Director will also build organizational cohesion between staff and the Board of Directors and cultivate a motivating work environment based on staff empowerment and accountability.
Position Start Date
As soon as filled
San Francisco Bay Area
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Full health benefits offered.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Operational planning and management
- Act as a spokesperson for the growing sustainable campus food co-op movement.
- Assist our start-up organization in developing a successful business model that can build on existing energy for local foods and cooperatives on campuses across North America.
- Facilitate effective interpersonal and organizational dynamics in line with CoFED's core values: Empowerment, Impact, Cooperation, Transparency, and Joy.
- Lead an annual goal-setting process and help the group focus on the organization's highest priorities throughout the year.
- Act as staff liaison to the Board of Directors, attend monthly Board of Directors' teleconference meetings as a non-voting member and deliver a comprehensive Staff Report.
Program planning and project management
- Oversee the effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Hire, manage, fire, award promotions to administrative staff and interns as needed.
- Manage or delegate management of relationships with project partners and contractors.
- Evaluate and refine operational policies and prepare effective procedures for implementation.
Staff planning and management
- Work with administrative team in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization's programs and projects.
- Work with administrative team to prioritize and ensure timely progress of projects.
Financial planning and management
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations – as well as CoFED's values.
- Work collaboratively with full-time national staff (currently one education/outreach staff member and one development/fundraising staff member).
- Support part-time regional staff (currently six in total) through a monthly check-in process.
- Assist staff in their professional development.
- Coach staff to develop and evaluate work plans and priorities.
- Monitor staff progress and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Work with CoFED's Finance Committee to prepare a comprehensive budget before the beginning of each fiscal year and, on a quarterly basis, provide the Board and staff with a report on the revenues and expenditures of the organization.
- Ensure that accurate bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed and all government required documentation is filed on time and accurately.
- Work with development staff member to pursue fundraising opportunities.
- Communicate CoFED's mission, impact, and programming opportunities to stakeholders.
- Work with national staff to establish and maintain strategic partnerships.
- Significant professional achievement in a dynamic non-profit or social enterprise.
- Knowledge of and involvement in the food, sustainability, cooperative, student organizing and/or social justice movements; understanding of their challenges and opportunities.
- Experience initiating, planning, implementing, and evaluating programs and projects.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and public speaking skills.
- Proficient in online tools and abilities for a national and digital organization (Skype, Google Docs).
- Experience fundraising preferred.
- Experience working with, coaching, or mentoring students or student organizations preferred.
- Experience with financial management and QuickBooks accounting software preferred.
- Experience working with an all-volunteer Board preferred.
idealist.org - 10 months ago