[AGENCY DISCLAIMER: Notice to Staffing Agencies, Placement Services, and Professional Recruiters can be found on cargill.com/careers]
Technical Services Manager-West Coast
Cargill is a unique place to grow your career, your experience and your abilities.
Every day, we grow our reputation as a leading international producer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. We take pride in our global reach, ability to contribute, and strong work ethics and values.
Founded in 1865, Cargill is a privately held company and employs 142,000 people in 65 countries with annual revenues in excess of $133.9 billion. Through innovation, creativity and teamwork, we are transforming entire markets and
people’s lives worldwide, and we can have the same impact on your career. Discover how we can be Better Together at www.cargill.com.
Cargill Corn Milling North America is a manufacturer of value-added corn, sugar and health based products serving the Food, Feed and Fermentation segments. From facilities in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Tennessee and Texas, we provide a wide variety of products and services including high fructose corn syrup, corn syrups, dextrose syrups and sucrose that are used in an array of beverage, brewing, confectionery, food and pharmaceutical applications. We provide health and sweetness promoting ingredients for the food and dietary supplement industries worldwide. We also produce a variety of innovative, dry corn ingredients that are used in cereals, snacks, breads, tortillas and animal feed applications. In addition, we produce fuel-grade ethanol and are a leading supplier of corn oil, acidulants, corn gluten meal and corn gluten feed products.
Accountable for understanding strategy, assessing needs, and proactively providing solutions for customers with significant business impact to Cargill AND internally for Cargill functional or location leaders. This may include moderately strategic customers with substantial growth opportunity. Involves regular site visits with customers.
Provides technical support and guidance on installation, adaptation, configuration or enhancement of company products/process/systems. Utilizes deep knowledge in one or more field AND wide knowledge across multiple specialties to resolve technical problems, troubleshoot and modify product to customer requirements. Work may be done at customer site and/or at the Cargill Application Centers/ Technical Services Labs. Customer training typically delivered in person.
Manages broad portfolio for strategic customers involving projects requiring new ingredients/ new application technology (level 1 and 1A projects). Typically also assigned to lead/ champion BU's (Business Unit) products: stevia, erythritol, glucosamine, citric, inulin, sterols, Vit E, whole grain & yellow goods, sweeteners for at least one region/ category/ specialty.
50% - CUSTOMER & CLIENT NEEDS ASSESSMENT/ PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT:
providing product/ application/ ingredient/ processing expertise
- Partners with BU Sales / Commercial teams to acquire new business from potential customers with significant business impact (i.e., participate in visits; interact with technical teams of potential customers).
- Independently explores competitor capabilities along with comparisons to BU's capabilities to determine gap and how BU can best serve the customer.
- Directly interacts with the customer’s highest level of Technology Leadership (i.e., Chief Technology Officer, VP of Product Development, and Director of R&D) for mid-sized customers or R&D team for large customers to understand the business strategy and assess the needs of the customer.
- Supports internal Sales / Commercial Teams for strategic customers by:
sharing intimate knowledge of the customer’s business strategy and processes
providing insight to customer needs and competitor comparisons
25% - SOLUTION IDENTIFICATION/ PROPOSAL DEVELOPMENT/ VALUE OPTIMIZATION/TECH STRATEGY:
- Works directly with functional or location leaders within BU to assess opportunities for improvement and provide recommendations on strategy.
- Typically leads/ champions BU's ingredient portfolio for at least one category / region, in addition to customer accounts (provides input to strategy in relation to new or existing ingredients, understands total ingredient matrix, interaction of the ingredients and relation to application by the customer)
15% - PROJECT PLANNING, FOLLOW-UP/ ISSUES RESOLUTION:
- Proactively identify customer solutions and new ways that Cargill can create value for the customer.
- Acts as primary technical contact for regional Customer Accounts with significant business impact.
- Addresses a range of customer technical questions and concerns from simple to complex where analysis of a customer problem requires an evaluation of various factors.
- Works directly with strategic customers to build and maintain a solid understanding of their business strategy, in conjunction with external trends in order to proactively identify new ingredients/ formulation/ product opportunities, specific to their needs (e.g., reduce calories/sugar, increase whole grain/fiber).
- Anticipates and translates customer needs into clear and concise specifications that can be understood and acted upon by internal Technology, Operations, Sales and Commercial teams. Typically identifies opportunities across all Cargill businesses.
- Assesses performance against key criteria for customers with significant business impact. Grows incremental contribution margin to meet agreed targets.
- Represents Cargill in relevant external organizations, committees, technical exhibitions and groups to appropriately influence external experts and customers on Cargill opinions as well as product strategy.
10% - CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION; TRAINING/CUSTOMER; COMMUNICATION/ TRAINING/ INTERNAL COMMUNICATION, AND CONSULTATION:
- Identifies and qualifies projects according to business strategy, providing project oversight for strategic customers where success is important (e.g., identify equipment, capabilities and team members required for project, enter and update project in Project Tracker). Projects typically involve new ingredients/ new application technology (level 1A and 1 projects).
- Develops complex formulations involving significant interpretation and variation of the formulations. May receive input from more senior team members.
- Provides project follow-up on behalf of the customer (level 1A and 1 projects). Works directly with Cargill’s internal Technology (Research, Development and Applications) and Operations teams to ensure projects are completed and issues are resolved timely and within agreed upon cost and quality standards.
- Independently troubleshoots problems, utilizing deep knowledge in one or more field AND wide knowledge across multiple specialties. Works directly with Research, Development, Applications and Commercial QA team on behalf of the customer.
Presents project proposals for new application/ formulation/ product directly to the customer. Typically presents directly to the customer’s highest level of Technology Leadership (i.e., Chief Technology Officer, VP of Product Development, and Director of R&D) for mid-sized customers or R&D team for large customers.
- Independently, or with support from internal Technology/ Sales/ Commercial teams, creates and delivers specialized training for customers to educate on various processes, products, ingredients and their different applications.
- Independently, or with support from internal Technology team, documents complex product specifications and delivers specifications and prototype direct to the customer or internal Applications or Production teams.
- Work directly with functional or location leaders within BU to implement and provide training for technology improvements and changes.
- Provides coaching and facilitates knowledge transfer to other team members. Provides guidance to customers on legislation and regulation related to food, food safety and health claims that may influence products, ingredients and labeling.
This position will reside on the West Coast in a location that is within driving distance of a major airport
Bachelor’s Degree in applicable area of science (Biology, Microbiology, Life Sciences, Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Ag Engineering, etc.)
Minimum 5 years food industry experience in technical service, applications, research, development or related field
Excellent listening and communication skills with above average presentation skills
Ability to explain complex technical information in an easy to understand manner
Strong desire to cultivate customer relationships and build trust through demonstrated technical knowledge
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
Highly motivated, self-starter with excellent organizational skills
Highly effective interpersonal skills with ability to work as a member of a cross-functional team
Ability to work with minimum supervision
Ability to travel 60%
Advanced Degree in applicable area of science (Biology, Microbiology, Life Sciences, Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Ag Engineering, etc.)
10+ yrs. of food industry experience in technical service, applications, research, development or related field
Prior experience calling on food and beverage companies
Knowledge and experience working with specialty and health ingredients such as
stevia, erythritol, glucosamine, citric, inulin, sterols, Vit E, whole grain & yellow goods, and sweeteners
Knowledge of regulatory environment, e.g. FCC/Pharmacopeias, GMP’s for food and dietary supplements
Experience using project management tools/databases
Ability to communicate in Spanish
Cargill is an EEO/AA employer.
Research and Development
Cargill - 23 months ago
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers,...