Associates get the royal treatment at Garmin. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
Getting from Point A to Point B is just the beginning. As the world’s largest electronic map publisher, we strive to hire associates who will help us maintain our position at the forefront of mapping technology. With millions of customers using these products daily to improve the convenience and safety of their travels, our mapping technology is a highly visible component of nearly all of our automotive, mobile, recreational, marine, and aviation products. If you’re ready to keep us on our path to perfection, we want to find you!
Our Map Technololgy Software team in Olathe, Kansas is hiring a full time Software Engineer to provide software development for the next generation of cartography products at our headquarters in Olathe, KS.
Software Engineers on the Map Technology team:
Other responsibilities include reviewing product and/or application information manuals and brochures for technical accuracy and participating in product definition activities such as feature analysis and system tradeoffs.
- Develop moderately complex software in C, C++, or C# language, or other selected languages for Garmin products and/or applications consistently following Garmin’s coding standards and in accordance with applicable software development methodology and release processes
- Utilize software engineering tools such as configuration management systems, build processes, and debuggers in the software development process
- Create and executes designs for small sets of new functionality as part of a software project
- May perform as a technical leader or Lead Software Engineer for derivative software project
- Collaborate and add value through participation in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions
- Provide reliable solutions to a variety of problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Perform technical root cause analysis and outlines corrective action for given problems
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced software engineers (Software Engineer 1)
- Estimate level of effort, evaluate new options of similar technology, offer suggestions to improve processes, and provide comments on some electrical design aspects
- Apply Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and enthusiastically exhibit a desire to see Garmin succeed
- Work collaboratively and professionally with other Garmin associates in cross functional teams to achieve goals
- Apply a sense of urgency, commitment and focus on the right priorities in developing solutions in a timely fashion
Candidates for this role should possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math or Physics or a technical field (such as CIS or IT) from a four-year college or university AND a minimum of one year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience plus a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule.
Qualified candidates will also demonstrate proficient knowledge and utilization of engineering tools necessary for successful performance of the essential functions of this job description including experience necessary to develop moderately complex software in C, C++, C# or other selected languages. Demonstrated mastery of relevant software engineering tools (configuration management systems, build processes, debuggers, emulators, simulators logic analyzers) and demonstrate proficient ability to capture and document software requirements.
Candidates with experience working in a team environment are preferred!
At Garmin, we like to laugh, have fun and work hard. It comes easily when you work on cool products with hard-working individuals who share the same passion. We offer numerous opportunities to get involved and believe strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer company-paid dental insurance, stock options, a 401k plan, a pension plan….trust us, it doesn’t get much better than this. Unless of course, you want to talk table tennis, fitness spaces, product discounts….come on, what are you waiting for? Apply today.
Garmin - 23 months ago
"Dreaming big and obsessing about the details.” It’s a dynamic philosophy that has taken Garmin from a start-up GPS...