This is a full-time, live-in, 10-month position during the academic year (2013/2014) beginning approximately July 10, 2013. Continuation of position beyond the academic year is dependent on departmental need. A furnished apartment is provided with the contract employment dates. Board plan is provided when the food service is open for residential service. Position is eligible for full classified employee benefit package and a tuition waiver up to 6 credits per semester. Position requires the ability to work flexible hours and duties during evening, weekend, and traditional periods.
Under supervision of the Director of Residence Life, the Resident Director (RD) is responsible for the overall management aspects of a residence hall of 300-600 students. Responsibilities include: developing a sense of community; promoting student development; maintaining hall security and safety; overseeing student conduct within the hall; conducting regular meetings with residents to share information and to provide a forum to discuss resident concerns; supervision of staff to include: centralized staff selection, training, and evaluations; over-seeing the front desk operation of the hall office; advising students both individually and in groups concerning academic, social and personal problems; advising student committees; serve as liaison with Housekeeping Staff, Maintenance Supervisor, Service Shop workers, University Police and Counseling Services to maintain sound working relationships for their services; and performing related duties as required.
Please respond to EACH required and preferred qualification listed below by summarizing how your work experience and training relates to each of them.
1. Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
2. At least one term of advanced experience in residence life with an emphasis on creating an environment conducive to academic success.
3. Experience developing and maintaining a highly functioning team.
4. Experience promoting student retention.
5. Experience managing multiple priorities and making sound decisions in a dynamic higher education environment.
1. Leadership/Supervisory experience coordinating, directing, and evaluating the work of others.
2. Campus-wide on-call experience.
3. Demonstrated competence adjudicating student conduct cases.
The successful candidate will also have the ability to : engage in meaningful interactions with a diverse student population and who are eager to invest in the holistic development of students; possess excellent communication and effective interpersonal skills; exhibit self-motivation and high initiative; effectively work in a fast-paced, team oriented environment; meet timelines and maintain accurate administrative documentation; use independent judgment in all situations, especially in crisis or emergency situations; and represent the department in a courteous and professional manner.
1. In accordance with MSU policy, hiring will be conditional upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
2. Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, long hours, and holidays as needed and must be able to work long hours and consecutive days without breaks during peak times.
Screening of applications will begin on February 15, 2013 , and will continue until a suitable candidate is hired.
To apply, please submit the following application materials:
The MSU Application Cover Sheet. Download the MSU Application Cover Sheet and pertinent application information by clicking here MSU Classified Employment Application .
Written responses to the Required and Preferred qualifications listed above.
Employment History or Resume
At least three (3) supervisory/professional references with contact information (most recent/current supervisor preferred).
Electronic submissions in Word or PDF are highly preferred but hard copies will be accepted. An original signature on the MSU Application Cover Sheet is required via scanned PDF, fax, or hardcopy original to the address below. Submit materials to: Becky McMillan Montana State University Auxiliary Services - Miller Dining Hall P.O. Box 172080 Bozeman, MT 59717-2080 firstname.lastname@example.org
Please e-mail or call Search Committee Contact at 406-994-6093 with any questions. Fax: 406-994-6488
Montana State University - 2 years ago
Founded in 1893, Montana State University - Bozeman has a national and international reputation for its excellence in undergraduate and...