Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 6, 2012
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the preeminent public universities in the country and one of the leading employers in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The IST Enterprise UNIX team at the University of California, Berkeley provides UNIX/Linux server hosting for central campus infrastructure and UNIX/Linux systems administration for critical campus applications, such as Oracle Database Services, bSpace (SAKAI), Student Information Systems, Graduate Admissions, and Financial Aid as well as several departmental applications.
The IST Enterprise UNIX team is currently seeking either a Senior or Principal level System Administrator to join their UNIX/Linux group - a team of talented system administrators in the Information Services and Technology (IST) division. The level
of this hire is contingent upon the needs of campus, as the technological changes on campus evolve.
The Senior Systems Linux Administrator will:
In addition to the duties of the Senior Linux Systems Administrator, the Principal Linux Systems Administrator will:
- Maintain campus mission-critical administrative servers, operating systems, technical standards, administrative systems, and security for IST server services.
- Develop technical and security policies, standards, and guidelines for operating these server infrastructures.
- Provide hardware, operating system, database, and application support for mission-critical campus systems used for administration, teaching, and research.
- Provide critical infrastructure to support the day-to-day operations of the Linux-based servers used by IST and campus customers.
- Work with management on strategic directions and initiatives for the Enterprise UNIX Team.
- Collaborate with management, Technical Account Managers, and clients on the planning and development of customer Service Level Agreements, Service Catalog listings, and new recharge services for campus.
- Propose and implement highly complex systems monitoring/management enhancements that will improve the performance and reliability of the system (Zenoss, Nagios, Cacti, cfengine, Puppet, etc.).
- Analyze, acquire, install, modify and support operating systems, databases, utilities and internet/intranet-related tools.
- Conduct highly complex systems programming and systems support activities, including enterprise authentication/authorization system integration.
- Create and maintain documentation of systems processes and procedures.
- Resolve complex user requests referred by junior administrators.
- Administer security policies to control access to systems. Performs complex security control activities to prevent intruders from infiltrating campus information. Maintains complex security systems for servers and firewalls.
- Work with campus customers to identify business requirements and suggest service improvements and/or new technology directions.
- Interact with senior internal and/or external personnel.
- May lead a team of systems/infrastructure professionals.
- Serve as principal leader, and work with internal and external partners on high profile and highly complex projects/initiatives
- Write articles on behalf of the Unit.
Qualifications for the Senior Linux Systems Administrator include:
In addition to the qualifications for the Senior Linux Systems Administrator, the Principal Linux Administrator include:
- Bachelor's degree in a Computer Science or Business Administration related field and/or equivalent experience/training.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressively advanced experience as a technical administrator for hardware, operating systems, and/or network management.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with Red Hat Linux Enterprise, VMware, and other virtualization technologies as well as knowledge of applicable programming languages (e.g. Perl, Python, etc.).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience utilizing advanced systems/infrastructure concepts to define, design and implement highly complex network server solutions (Linux clustering, system virtualization, etc.).
- Some experience serving as a subject matter expert to management and executives within a heterogeneous environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of planning and coordinating the installation, configuration, and testing of hardware and software components.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to write purchase justifications, train users in complex topics, create presentations for an internal audience.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of operating system administration; for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, system security techniques/best practices, system monitoring/management best practices, installing third-party software.
- Advanced understanding of the Linux operating system; understands paging and swapping; inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do; filesystem concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions), and system tuning.
- Advanced understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; can configure NFS and NIS, Samba/SMB, LDAP; can use nslookup or dig to check information in the DNS; understands network routing/VLAN concepts/best practices.
- Ability to write complex programs in some administrative language (e.g. Tk, Perl, Python, a shell).
- Ability to do minimal debugging and modification of C programs.
- Ability to work independently
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive work experience as a technical administrator for hardware, operating systems, and/or network management.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience utilizing advanced systems/infrastructure concepts to define, design and implement highly complex network server solutions (Linux clustering, system virtualization, etc.).
- A minimum of 3 years of direct work experience with executives and C-level leadership within a heterogeneous organization, serving as a subject matter expert and leader.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience with Red Hat Linux Enterprise, VMware, and other virtualization technologies as well as knowledge of applicable programming languages (e.g. Perl, Python, etc.) is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressive experience leading technical teams.
- A minimum of 5 year of experience presenting formal presentations to internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated experience resolving highly complex problem/issues
- Demonstrated ability to write peer reviewed articles and papers
Salary & Benefits
- Knowledge of one or more of the following technologies: Apache/Tomcat, JBOSS, systems monitoring and performance/load testing, external hosting/cloud computing
- Linux certification
- Work experience in higher education.
- Ability to work with central or departmental computer systems and networks, including web systems administration
Salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a single position that will be filled at either the Senior or Principle level, depending upon experience.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and will require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.