The University of Virginia Library seeks a Sr. Software & Systems Engineer to act as lead developer, working both independently and as part of larger teams to manage medium to large complexity development projects from start to finish. The Sr. Software & Systems Engineer is responsible for research, planning, analysis, and design, as well as the engineering and development work needed to implement applications and systems in support of UVa Library's business needs.
To be competitive candidates must have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline. A Master's degree is preferred. A minimum of 7 years of experience in design, development, deployment and maintenance of Enterprise class software and systems is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of several programming languages.
- Working knowledge of software design methodologies including object oriented design.
- Ability to develop solutions with version control, logging, monitoring, testing and deployment mechanisms.
- Ability to perform enterprise scale application performance tuning.
- Knowledge of UNIX operating systems, including Linux.
Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
Extensive - 7 years plus
Kind of Required Experience:
Minimum 7 years of experience in design, development deployment and maintenance of Enterprise class software and systems.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline.
Required License or Certification:
Required Computer Applications:
- Experience in design and development of enterprise class applications.
- Experience developing enterprise class software in Java.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of encryption methods.
- Working knowledge of designing and developing systems to leverage external authentication methods.
- Working knowledge of MySQL design and implementation.
- Working knowledge of Rails systems design methodology.
- Working knowledge of the Ruby programming language.
- Working knowledge of metadata standards.
- Working knowledge of digital repositories such as Fedora.
Kind of Preferred Experience:
Master's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline.
Preferred License or Certification:
Preferred Computer Applications:
It is the practice of the University of Virginia to conduct in-depth background checks on all candidates identified as a finalist for employment consideration at the University. The type of background checks performed are dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist and may include: reference checks, criminal history including sexual offender registry checks, degree validation, DMV (driving) Record checks, license verification, credit report reviews, etc. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be requested to sign a reference release form, so your past schools and/or employers may be contacted concerning your academic or employment history.
Virginia Jobs - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard