The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
This is a part-time position: Days/Hours M-F 8 am - 1:00 pm.
Supports the day-to-day operations of a Chapter program or service. Serves as the initial point of contact between the service or program and others.
1. Provides administrative and clerical support including answering telephones, routing incoming calls, process mail, and customer service. Maintains calendar of events and activities. Tracks statistics. Maintains community contacts, partner organizations and resources lists. Coordinates orientation for new Community Services volunteers. Conducts follow-up with clients helped by Community Services program. Maintains client files in an organized manner.
2. Responds to general inquiries about program or service.
3. Schedules and coordinates requests for presentations and trainings.
4. Collects preliminary client information and refers client to appropriate Red Cross and community services.
5. Resolves routine problems as they arise and bring non-routine problems to the attention of program or service management/leadership.
6. Processes requests for presentations to community individuals and groups. May conduct presentations as assigned.
7. Monitors and maintains program supply and equipment inventory, including program or service printed materials.
8. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expect that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
9. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
If this sounds like the kind of opportunity that you've been waiting for, please visit our website at:
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that employees growth and development, team spirit, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Education: High School or equivalent. Ability to become proficient with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Experience: Minimum 6 months – 2 years work experience in a professional office environment, including administrative volunteer experience.
Management Experience: N/A
Skills and Abilities: Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills. Responds promptly to customer needs. Listens and gets clarifications. Follows policies and procedures. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Uses time efficiently. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Works with integrity and ethically. Maintains confidentiality.
Travel: May involve work in the field.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential including sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work Conditions: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to
emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout
chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response
organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
American Red Cross - 19 months ago
The humanitarian mission of the American Red Cross connects us to people and communities across the nation and around the world. The common...