Title: Supervisor of Equipment - Technical Support Department: Maintenance of Equipment
Repost Date: 01/09/2013
Close Date: 01/23/2013
Hay Point Evaluation: 496
2012 Salary Range: Minimum: $61,939/Midpoint: $77,424
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Location: Hillside Support Facility
Reports To: Master Mechanic
Union Affiliation: Independent Railway Supervisors Association
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO LIRR EMPLOYEES ONLY
Please note that those who have previously applied to the position do not have to reapply, as your application may still be under consideration.
Responsible to support the overall operation by providing technical support for all fleet types (MU [multiple-unit] and Diesel) as required. The position exists to help the Maintenance of Equipment Department meet its goals and objectives relative to the performance of the fleet (MDBF [mean distance between failures], reliability, car availability, etc.) by providing technical expertise, advanced troubleshooting, fleet surveys, inspections, vendor assessment, technical direction, software upgrades, downloads, download analysis and training as the need arises, including off shifts, weekends and various locations.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Guide, instruct, oversee, and inspect the work of craft personnel. Provide related technical support and assistance on the diagnosis of difficult equipment problems, upgrade of skills, and introduction of new technical concepts with authority to instruct craft personnel in the course of their maintenance of equipment duties. Provide assistance and be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at all locations. Respond to emergencies and inclement weather to address equipment issues during weekends and off-shift hours as required. Provide standby assistance when required.
- Provide technical support in the identifying, analyzing, diagnosing and repairing of recurring defects occurring in shops and/or yards.
- Coordinate and conduct road testing of propulsion and dynamic brake systems. Coordinate and conduct air brake testing, door system testing, ATC (Automatic Train Control) system testing and any other related testing/diagnostics. Provide recommendations on resolutions and perform repairs as necessary.
- Provide assistance to Equipment Engineering in conducting special tests, proving and integrating modifications into the fleet, and conducting follow-up inspections to test the validity of these modifications.
- Participate in various Task Forces, Process Improvement Teams (PITs) relative to equipment analysis and reliability, as directed.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
- A four-year High School diploma or its educational equivalent (GED) approved by a State's Department of Education or recognized accredited organization.
- Must possess solid technical knowledge of rail car equipment systems and related testing procedures, including experience in electrical, mechanical and pneumatic circuitry, and components of the MU (multiple unit) and Diesel fleets with knowledge of the interface in railroad application or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Must possess basic knowledge of QA/QC principles with respect to equipment.
- Must possess strong communication skills and a working knowledge of computer applications such as database, spreadsheets and word-processing programs.
- Must possess ability to motivate and lead employees.
- Must possess ability to troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Must possess strong problem-solving and analytical skills with the ability to diagnose fleet problems and provide acceptable recommendations on solutions.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- AAS degree in Electronics/Electrical field.
- Knowledge of FRA and APTA standards.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- General knowledge of work conditions in a union shop/yard environment.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A department head, however, may request an exception to this requirement, subject to Human Resources approval. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.
Metropolitan Transportation Authority - 2 years ago