The Community Living Center is a geriatrics and restorative rehabilitation care unit that specializes in gerontology, dementia, restorative rehabilitation, respite, palliative and hospice care. Patient populations include: cardiopulmonary conditions, multiple sclerosis, brain injuries, cancer and patients with conditions that affect their ability to do self-care. The patient population is likely to present with chronic medical conditions especially related to bowel, bladder, skin, mobility, safety and pain issues; change in mental status and/or functional decline. The LPN is an integral member of the interdisciplinary team. Working under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, the LPN provides care to patients by observing and reporting changes in the patient's condition, administering medications and treatments(wound care), and documenting patient interactions, using the Computerized Patient Record System. He/she demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills with patients, families and members of the disciplinary team.
- Adheres to VA and Nursing Service policies, procedure, and standards.
- Delivers care to patients in a respectful non-judgmental manner and according to Patient Care Plan.
- Maintains patient/ client privacy.
- Sets limits within nurse/ patient relationships which are clearly defined.
- Demonstrates understanding of age - and population specific characteristics that affect the health care needs of the veteran.
- Performs aspects of admission procedures as directed.
- Recognizes significant changes in the patient.
- Promptly recognizes urgent or emergent patient care situations, seeks assistance and effectively intervenes as directed when appropriate.
- Accurately documents and retrieves patient/ clinical information using CPRS.
- Organizes/ prioritizes clinical specific activities.
- Provides effective education to patients and/or family members in relation to common disease processes, medications, and/or prescribed diagnostic and/or treatment regimes, as directed. (e.g. health promotion, dx. tests).
- Adheres to standards of practice and safe technique in preparation and administration of medicine. Observes patient for adverse effects from medication and reports to the team RN.
- Participates in Quality Improvement activities, as directed.
- Monitors/ reports/ participates in selected aspects of : Oxygen therapy, delegated procedures and treatments, implements use of urinary drainage and related care, places-reads-and documents intradermal skin testing, utilizes Doppler for vascular data, transcribes clinician orders for shot clinic and records medication treatments on medication administration record.
- Completes Health Promotion screenings to include behavior health and immunizations.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education: Graduate of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State accrediting agency and/or the National League for Nursing at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.
- Licensure: Full, active current and unrestricted LPN licensure in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- English proficiency. Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- Previous direct patient care experence
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as stated in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G13, dated 4/15/2002. In addition to the basic requirements applicants must meet the specialized experience requirements as follows:
GS 4: (a) Completion of at least 6 months of qualifying experience at the GS-3 level or equivalent. Applicants perform at the advanced beginner level. They are responsible for direct patient care activities under the supervisor of a Registered Nurse (RN).
GS 5: (a) Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-4 level or equivalent. Applicants must demonstrate knowledge and ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems; demonstrated ability to serve as a responsible member of the nursing team and interact with patients, family members, professional and supportive personnel who provide patient care, and with members of other services.
GS-6: Completion of at least one year of qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent. knowledge and skills necessary for concentrated effort and self-direction in Applicants must demonstrate the carrying out the most complex practical nursing care assignments, including assignments for selected acute care, long-term or ambulatory care, or psychiatric patients requiring skilled nursing care; demonstrate their participation as a member of a health care team with these selected patients and providing care to them on a regular and recurring basis; completing assigned duties and responsibilities which involve performing nonstandard and specialized practical nursing activities at the GS-6 level, requiring broad work experience and demonstrated skill sufficient to resolve a range of nursing problems.
References: VA Handbook 5005 Chapter 3, Part II, Appendix G13, Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standards available at: http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005-3.doc .
Physical Requirements: This position involves considerable amount of standing (up to 2 hours), walking (up to 6 hours), stooping, bending, reaching, lifting, and turning. It requires repositioning patients, assisting with transfers from wheelchairs/stretchers and transporting them to other departments or facilities. Mechanical devices are available and are required to be used for heavy or difficult to lift clients. The work may involve pushing or lifting in excess of 45 pounds and going up and down flights of stairs. The position requires visual (corrected to 20/30 or better with color discrimination) and auditory acuity at a level to provide safe and effective nursing care. The position requires the nurse to work for periods of time with arms above shoulder level or with neck in a fully flexed or extended position. The nurse may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia or psychiatric disorders. The nurse many be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent must possess sound and logical clinical judgment. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. The position also requires ability to work on computers for extended periods of time. Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
All applicants are
submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations)
*ResumeApplicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf ) (required) .
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1026204.
Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144 .
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, January 30, 2014Thursday, January 30, 2014 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire .
Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144 . Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- 2 years ago - save job