CHEMIST - DEFENSE MANUFACTURING
ATK is a premier aerospace and defense company with more than 18,000 employees in 22 states, Puerto Rico and internationally. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or a military operation. We are a Fortune 500 company and the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition. ATK’s Missile Products Division has an exciting opportunity for a Chemist located our Manufacturing Center of Excellence near Cumberland, MD. This position will support production propellant and warhead programs for all propellant, explosive and bondliner formulations.
- Maintain all program technical databases containing physical and chemical properties data collected from production mixes
- Recommend and maintain production formulations that meet specification requirements for each program
- Understand and interpret specification requirements for each program
- Interface with plant production Scheduling Group to determine mixsheet release schedules and proofing exercises
- Conduct proofing exercise on each production formulation to validate use of ingredients prior to production activity
- Interface with Material Control Group to determine accurate information needed to release mix sheets and ingredient usage/planning activities
- Understand chemical make-up and purpose for each formulation ingredient for designing and improving new formulations where necessary
- Interface with program team including Program Management, Mission Assurance Eng., Production Eng. and Manufacturing Eng.
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related science field. Advanced degree preferred
Knowledge of and experience in Rheology strongly desired
2-4 years related work experience
Ability and willingness to work outside of standard work hours when needed to resolve issues
Ability to understand basic chemical structures and their functions in solids-filled rubber binders
Ability to understand and interpret physical and chemical properties data from formulation testing (for example: stress, strain, modulus, burning rate and thermal stability)
Ability to analyze and interpret technical data to identify trends and relationships between ingredients and ingredient levels for influencing and predicting formulation properties
Understanding of basic statistics related to SPC (for example: run charts, control limits, standard deviation)
Proficiency in MS office tools and web-based organizational filing
Able to obtain a Secret Clearance which requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite
Strong organizational skills
Possess good interpersonal skills
Have demonstrated capability for independent work and creativity
Clear written and oral communication skills
Ability to work with a cross functional team
Ability to work in a dynamic environment
ATK is on the move. We have the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in a highly dynamic national security and space environment. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, full Medical and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Engineering and Sciences
less than 25%
Years of Experience:
Defense, Chemist, Manufacturing, Industrial, Engineer, Government, Science, Engineering
ATK - 15 months ago
Space is not the final frontier for Alliant Techsystems (ATK), as long as its aerospace/defense offerings are paving new paths. Through four...