REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Responsible for the planning, organization, direction, supervision, and evaluation of all the dietary services provided in the community. Ensures the dietary department compliance with federal, state and local regulations and implementation of the community’s dietary core programs. Ensures maintenance of records and reports concerning resident nutrition. Ensures the orientation and training of dietary personnel. Manages the Dietary Department within budget. Ensures food is prepared in accordance with current applicable federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations; community standards and procedures. Follows all community policies and procedures.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. The tasks on this position description marked with an asterisk (*) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All associates may be required to provide
lifting and transfer assistance to residents.
1. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Makes daily work assignments.
- *Directs the work of assigned associates.
- Schedules lunch and rest breaks
- Authorizes overtime.
- Reassigns associates from one area to another area as community needs dictate.
- Prepares written evaluations of assigned associates.
- Enforce community policies with authority to issue disciplinary action as per policy.
- Authority to suspend associates for rules violation.
- Validates time records.
- Interviews applicants that will be assigned to his/her area of responsibility.
- Receives and handles associates complaints.
- *Participates in training programs and assists in orientation of new staff.
2. Plans, organized, directs, supervises, and evaluates all dietary services provided in the community to achieve desired nutritional and financial outcomes.
3. Ensures that community’s kitchens are in compliance with all regulatory requirements and
4. Ensures necessary equipment, supplies, and staffing are available for the delivery of the prescribed meals.
5. Is responsible for recruitment, training, supervision, scheduling, and personnel issues in the dietary department.
6. Manages the dietary department budget.
7. Works with Veritas InCare personnel and contracted dietician to continuously improve the quality of nutritional care.
8. Represents the community in various professional and community activities.
9. Participates in marketing planning, activities, and evaluation.
10. Ensures customer service standards for the dietary department.
11. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy. Also, assists with resident care on an as needed basis.
12. *Ensures food is prepared in accordance with sanitation regulations, as well as community’s standards and procedures.
13. Ensures menus are reviewed prior to preparation of food.
14. *Ensures meals are prepared in accordance with planned menus, standardized recipes and production sheets to include therapeutic diets.
15. *Ensures staff makes only authorized substitutions.
16. *Ensures staff prepares and serves meals that are palatable, appetizing in appearance, garnished, and at the proper temperature on a timely basis.
17. *Ensures staff takes and records temperatures on all food served.
18. *Ensures staff takes and records refrigerator/freezer temperatures.
19. *Assists in serving meals as necessary.
20. *Ensures that food and supplies for the next day’s meal are readily available.
- Knows and follows community rules.
- *Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
- Follows and enforces community-smoking policies.
- Reports any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate community personnel.
- *Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Community Disaster Plan.
- *Assists in maintaining all work/storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times. Signs off on cleaning schedule.
- *Utilizes and cleans equipment correctly and safely.
- *Properly disposes of kitchen waste.
22. *Ensures diet changes and new diets are processed upon receipt from Nursing Services.
23. Follows community dress and personal hygiene policies.
24. *Attends and participates in in-service classes, performance improvement (“PI”) committees and other meetings as assigned.
25. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
26. *Performs physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Meets all health requirements imposed by law.
2. Ability to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other community staff.
3. Able to read, write, speak and understand English.
4. Ability to withstand sudden temperature changes from the heat of the kitchen to the cold of the freezer.
5. Ability to taste and smell food to determine quality and palatability.
6. Previous cooking experience preferred; previous experience working in senior community preferred
7. Graduated from an approved Dietary Manager’s Course or an approved coursed in basic dietary sanitation.
Interested Candidates may apply at www.kenningtonpointe.com