Under the direction of the Ambulatory Director coordinates the administrative aspects and facilitates the daily clinic/practice operation with commitment to providing the highest quality of service to patients in a hospital-based, community-based, or private-based ambulatory care practice. Provides oversight and training in all areas of day to day unit operations, and resource utilization. Has direct budget responsibility for all areas assigned. Responsible for direct supervision of staff and management of clinic staff, servicing hospital, HMFP and private MD’s clinics.
Oversees all functions that support the unit such as registration, scheduling, medical records, billing, safety, supply ordering, etc., and assists with these tasks as necessary. Performs administrative responsibilities such as planning and organizing the work of support staff, coordinating and prioritizing workflow, developing, monitoring and preparing budgets, and developing and implementing appropriate systems, protocols and procedures.
Supports the organization’s clinical and financial infrastructure by coordinating/facilitating interdisciplinary teams to ensure service levels are identified, necessary resources are allocated for compliance, and responsibilities are clarified.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in planning and implementation of departmental and divisional goals, programs and objectives, personnel, resources and equipment. Organizes directs and coordinates all operational and administrative processes for division.
- Serves as principal resource on all divisional financial matters; develops, implements and monitors budgets, including medical center operating budget and clinical practice budgets, advises on availability and use of funds, authorizes all expenditures and assigns them to appropriate budget or fund.
- Responsible for overall coordination of support staff involved in clinical and administrative activities, with emphasis on sensitivity to patients. Responsible for meeting service and customer service standards. Organizes and oversees work schedules and assignment of work to meet operational needs. Develops and implements procedures to ensure efficient processing of work. This includes, but not limited to, time of service co-payment collection, referral management, pre-registration, and visit ticket entry.
- Oversees the operation of the HMFP physician visits (rental sessions) conducted in Shapiro outpatient clinics with over 329,000 physician visits and nurse treatments.
- Participates in confidential salary planning for staff.
- Works to implement the approved business plans for assigned areas of responsibilities that identify strategies, objectives, timetables, expected outcome and measures. Updates implementation plan as necessary to reflect challenges and opportunities in the marketplace and BIDMC's or CareGroup's overall direction.
- Assists in preparation of appropriate billing with regard to research grant and clinical trials.
- Analyze and prepares reports on all activities, volume statistics, collections, research (grant) support; make informed volume forecasts and resource needs with directors.
- Develop and maintain systems and/or processes that measure results of work/productivity, revenue, volume, clinical outcomes, patient/staff/physician satisfaction or other work improvement indicators. Collaborates with other peers, physicians, and/or services to determine best practices, desired outcomes and best method of achieving and reporting outcomes.
- Plans, assigns and evaluates work of support staff. This includes daily assignments for the front desk and the technicians. Makes decisions concerning hiring, corrective action and personnel matters as appropriate. Responsible for development of office orientation procedures and protocols and maintaining compliance with Ambulatory Policies and Procedures.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and supervising office systems
Qualifications/Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree required, Master's preferred.
5 - 8 + years of experience in hospital operations and Ambulatory management.
Extensive knowledge, experience, skills and tools to bring strategy, performance and technological elements together.
Strong interpersonal skills and professionalism required to interact with patients, providers and staff.
Excellent verbal and analytical skills, extensive knowledge of business and medical terminology and systems, as well as understanding of financial systems.
Solid organizational skills, initiative and innovation. Ability to respond quickly and purposefully to routine and unusual situations.
Understanding of hospital policies, procedures and operations to assume a variety of administrative details (i.e., resourceful in obtaining information when not readily available).
Positive, problem solving attitude with ability to establish priorities and initiate appropriate responses.
Strong desire for process improvement and leadership development.
Ability to handle in a professional manner, a heavy and diverse workload in an active healthcare environment.
Holds self and others in Ambulatory Services accountable for the Performance Standards and Expectations of Practice
BethIsraelDeaconessMedicalCenter - 3 years ago
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is a patient care, teaching and research affiliate of Harvard Medical School, and currently...