Incumbent is responsible for performing human resources administrative support activities. The Human Resources Assistant is a stand-alone position and reports directly to the Human Resources/Labor Relations Director.
Examples of Duties:
- Greets employees, applicants and visitors in person or on the telephone;
- Distributes incoming mail;
- Works with various HRIS software with duties which include: ensures all information is recorded in various locations; maintains databases for input of all changes; records and processes new employees; personnel status changes; promotions and terminations; name and address changes; recruitment and hiring processes;
- Builds upon HR databases to use to full capacity – evaluate processes and makes recommendations;
- Oversees and maintains HR administrative activities, recruitment and hiring processes, ensuring that steps are processed either electronically or by paper, may coach manager and applicants on how to use recruitment software as needed;
- Processes Accounts Payable billing and P-card payments;
- Keeps and organizes status papers with all employee activity information for Employee Quarterly Report;
- Monitors the department’s budget expenditures;
- Provides information, interpretation of language, and administratively updates City wide personnel policies and procedures and union contracts;
- Completes HR comparable wage and benefit surveys;
- Coordinates and schedules various meetings.
- Clerical and office functions, procedures, activities and record keeping;
- Filing systems;
- Developing, maintaining and updating office records and files;
- Time management;
- Math and accounting principles;
- Budget monitoring procedures;
- Union contracts;
- Municipal Operations (desirable).
- Computer software applications such as Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Use of Eden and HRIS systems;
- Prioritizing workload;
- Good Customer service;
- Ability to operate as part of a team;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Scheduling and organizing various meetings and events;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with co-workers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and receive work direction.
- Ability to multi-task.
Acceptable Training and Experience:
- Associate Degree or two-year technical certificate;
- 2 or more years of administrative support experience;
- Ability to type 40 wpm and to demonstrate proficiency with Excel;
- Some experience working in the field of Human Resources desired;
- Knowledge of/ experience with HR Office practices desired.
City of Kalamazoo, MI - 17 months ago